is this tank too small!

Sep 29, 2008
im an engineer and have a 30g planted tank, i was looking on ebay and saw some cool 3 neck boiling flasks that are 1000ml that would look cool on my desk. would it be possible to turn 1 into a tank? house maybe 1 cardinal tetra or something like that? or is 1 liter way too small for even 1 tiny fish?

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Not sure what they are, but fish need to have a filtration system. Constant water changes would be stressful, I think. And without a filtration system you'd need to do water changes. I'd think you could keep one Guppy in a quart container provided you had the proper filtration, water movement, water biology etc.

If you don't know what cycling a tank is, nitrifying bacteria, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia etc., I'd suggest you search this forum or the internet. These are very important things, no matter what size the fish is, with regards to fish health.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
sorry man- as I have found out, being an engineer doesn't count for a whole lot when it comes to fish lol. Well unless you are like a chem or biochem engineer anyways.

But yeah, that is the same principle as having a fish in a bowl, yet even worse due to the tall profile. It wouldn't really work, as much as we would want it to :p

Sep 29, 2008
o i was saying im an engineer because the flask is like a cool mad sicientist look. i understand fish tanks, hence i have a 30g planted tank. i would make a mini canister filter for it. the flask is a sphere with a 6" diameter. it would have every aspect of a large tank, i.e. filtration, aeration, gravel (very small amount) maybe a tiny plant (dwarf hair grass possibly) i was just asking is 1 liter of water just way to small for even 1 fish (or some shrimp or something)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
A Betta is pretty much the only fish you could put in that and even still it's a lil small. No filter is needed just reg water changes. I like to keep java moss in unfiltered Betta containers as it does reduce nitrite. Bettas deal with ammonia better than nitrite.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yes, still sounds small even for a betta. The other problem is heating the thing, if you want to keep tropical fish in it, the temp will need to be kept at tropical temperatures steadily. Lots of buildings turn the heat off or down during the night and weekends, so this can be hard to accomplish. Maybe some plants and snails might look cool?

Sep 29, 2008
thanks for the input, it sucks it would be a cool idea, i would be able to heat it fine, i could fabricate a micro heater from a test tube. maybe ill look for a 3000ml boiling flask or something bigger. a single dwarf puffer would be cool if they didn't need so much room to explore.

Sep 29, 2008
ill just have to find the smallest fish in the world. yeah well i worried about the surface area, but with good aeration it might work. the neck is 3/4" wide so a small fish would fit, i wanted to design tools and such to fit in the neck. but when your out of fish ideas, your out. 1 oto could fit

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Your idea reminds me of those ecosystem ball things... Where it has a plant, water, a bit of air in it, and some brine shrimp. You put it in the sunlight and the thing never dies... I'm not sure why it reminds me of that, but it does.

Perhaps some brine shrimp? (AkA Sea monkies!)
A betta could work, they like still water... You'd have to make sure to not fill the entire flask up (so that there is surface area for him or her).

A female betta would do pretty good (smaller fins, less agressive, cute, and loverly) but I'm not sure.