Is this too much?

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
Hey guys and gals,

My name is Darren and I am new here, but I have been lurking for a while. You seem like a very friendly and helpful community, so I thought I should register in order to discuss things with you and hopefully get some useful tips for my new aquarium.

I have a 9 - 10 gallon freshwater tank with the following fish:

3 scats
3 orange barbs
2 catfish
2 argentus (both died in the last couple of days)

I have been given some really poor advise from the pet store owner. He told me to change the water every two or three months, he didn't mention anything about checking the ammonia and nitrates levels and I also have a feeling that I might have overcrowded the tank.

My argentus died after some weird behavior, such as staying very close to the surface struggling for air (just like a drowning mammal!) and refusing to eat. One scat started doing the same thing, so I checked some things on the net and found out it might be the ammonia. So I changed around 10-15% of the water and he seems to be doing better already. I used distilled water this time, as opposed to ordinary tap water. I also read about vacuuming the gravel. How is this done? Do I need special equipment for it?

Sorry for the long post. I highlighted the important parts that I would really like to have answers to in order to make your lives a bit easier *SUPERSMIL

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/Dazza81/DSCN2572.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/Dazza81/DSCN2573.jpg

Last edited:

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok, this is alot to cover so hopefully I get some help here.

1: Yes, thats to many fish in the tank. What type of catfish are they? Most cats get quite large and should not be kept in a tank that small.

2: As for the water changes...you should do about 25% a week...not every few months.

3: Distilled water is good plan. If you use tap water..you have to get water conditioner, like aquasafe. Takes the chlorine and chloramine out of the water. both are poison to fish.

4. What are you using to remove the water from your tank? You do need a gravel vac...quite cheap from the pet store.

if I missed anything, let me know....or if you have more questions

by the way, welcome to the tank!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to the tank! Don't be afraid to ask questions..It's what we are here for.

Yes you overcrowded your tank. Even more important is you probably didn't cycle this tank before adding fish. Not very many fish can live through the stress of a tank that is cycling and sorry to say none of the fish you listed are known for withstanding the cycle. They have a small chance of making it if you start doing water changes to keep you ammonia, and nitrIte under control. You need to buy a test kit to monitor these. Get the liquid drop test kits and steer clear of the test strips as they are not very accurate.

Do not use distilled water as it is void of all trace minerals and dissolved solids making for water that has no KH. This water is very prone to PH crashes. You should just use your tap water treated with a dechlorinator.

To vacuum the gravel you just need to purchase a gravel vac. You should do a water change and gravel vac every week. 20% is fine for a tank that isn't overstocked.

Also you didn't ask but I will tell you most of the fish in your list are not appropriate for a tank this small. You need to know exactly what kind of catfish you have as most get huge, Scats get huge and are brackish fish. The argentus is better known as a Mono, They are also a brackish fish. Brackish fish can live in fresh water for short amounts of time but need marine salt (not aquarium salt) in their water. Brackish means they have a specific gravity (amount of salt) in the 1.004 - 1.008 range. You check the SG with a hydrometer.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
See, I knew I'd need some help on this one. Didnt know about the distilled water deal.

Edit: Maybe its just the picture...but that looks more like a 29 gallon. Do you have the dimensions? Or a picture from further away?

Last edited:

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I'm not an expert by any measure but the best thing I can advise is get the kit Pure alluded to. Very valuable to determine water quality.

And understand what Cycling a tank is. Check out this thread. Both of my tanks are there. Healthy water. Therefore I only do a 25% change in each one once a week. As said before, de-Chlorinate the water before adding.

Lastly, ask many questions here. This place is a very valuable resource and people here want to help.

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
Welcome to the tank! Don't be afraid to ask questions..It's what we are here for.

Yes you overcrowded your tank. Even more important is you probably didn't cycle this tank before adding fish. Not very many fish can live through the stress of a tank that is cycling and sorry to say none of the fish you listed are known for withstanding the cycle. They have a small chance of making it if you start doing water changes to keep you ammonia, and nitrIte under control. You need to buy a test kit to monitor these. Get the liquid drop test kits and steer clear of the test strips as they are not very accurate.

Do not use distilled water as it is void of all trace minerals and dissolved solids making for water that has no KH. This water is very prone to PH crashes. You should just use your tap water treated with a dechlorinator.

To vacuum the gravel you just need to purchase a gravel vac. You should do a water change and gravel vac every week. 20% is fine for a tank that isn't overstocked.

Also you didn't ask but I will tell you most of the fish in your list are not appropriate for a tank this small. You need to know exactly what kind of catfish you have as most get huge, Scats get huge and are brackish fish. The argentus is better known as a Mono, They are also a brackish fish. Brackish fish can live in fresh water for short amounts of time but need marine salt (not aquarium salt) in their water. Brackish means they have a specific gravity (amount of salt) in the 1.004 - 1.008 range. You check the SG with a hydrometer.
I only found out that they're brackish fish after I got them... another thing the shop owner didn't tell me.

Do I need to remove the fish from the tank in order to clean the gravel? Or just remove 20% of the water, vacuum and refill?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I only found out that they're brackish fish after I got them... another thing the shop owner didn't tell me.

Do I need to remove the fish from the tank in order to clean the gravel? Or just remove 20% of the water, vacuum and refill?
No need to remove the fish. After you vacuum the tank, and remove the water...make sure you replace the water with some that is the same temp as whats in the tank. You can shock the fish if you dont. Also, after you refill the tank, thats when you put in the aquasafe, or something like it.

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
My site (see link below) has a ton of info if your interested. From cycling to equipment.

I forgot to ask...what pet store did you go to? Is it a chain store IE: Petsmart? Or a local fish store?
Just a local fish store. There aren't any chain stores or big pet shops here, just small shops. This is what these people earn a living from basically, so I'm not surprised he didn't mention anything about buying too many fish.

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
Leave the fish in. The act of Vacuuming also removes the water.

Yeah I figured they didn't tell you, happens all the time.
Ah ok, sounds great then. Thanks a lot. Any idea how much a vacuum might cost? (all I'll have to do then is multiply that by 3 and I'll know how much they're gonna charge me more or less).

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
I'm not an expert by any measure but the best thing I can advise is get the kit Pure alluded to. Very valuable to determine water quality.

And understand what Cycling a tank is. Check out this thread. Both of my tanks are there. Healthy water. Therefore I only do a 25% change in each one once a week. As said before, de-Chlorinate the water before adding.

Lastly, ask many questions here. This place is a very valuable resource and people here want to help.
Thanks, I'll definitely read that :)

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
One basic question: Do these guys like the neon on the aquarium on or off most of the time? How much light do they need?
If your not home, no need for it to be on. It's not going to hurt to leave it on however. Until you get into the high end light systems, and live plants....the time your lights are on are not a real concern. Just shut it off at night.

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
Ok, so, to re-cap, what I need to do now is:

Get a kit to check the ammonia and nitrates.

Change 50% of the water.

Vacuum the gravel.

Change 20% of the water every week.

-----

Another question: What kind of food should I be giving them? I bought (again, recommended by the pet-shop owner) vegetable diet pellets, for East African cichlids. Is this fine or should I switch/alternate with flakes and other stuff (spinach????)

Also, what are the odds of the remaining fish to survive? I really want these little guys to be happy :(