Is this too much?

kerridawn

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2009
Yukon, Oklahoma
I have a newly cycled 46 gallon bowfront tank. I have an idea of the fish I want to add, but I am unsure if they will all work together in a community tank, and if it is too many fish. Here's my idea:
1 angelfish
2 mollies
2 dwarf gouramis
3 platys
7 serpae tetra
4 corys
and a pleco of some kind.
What do you guy's think?
I know in the end I need to add the fish slowly.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The stocking level sounds fine. With mollies and platies, make sure you either get all females, or two females to each male. Otherwise, the males will pester/harass a single female too much.

In general, angels and gouramis don't work well together, and gouramis don't do well in groups or pairs. I'd get something other than gouramis. If you decide to not do the angel, get only one gourami. You could consider something like rainbowfish instead of gouramis, if you want larger, colorful fish.

I'd say to get a group of 6 or 8 cories, they're much more fun in larger groups.

I agree on the pleco; get one of the kinds that gets no more than 6". Rubbernose tend to be the cheapest (Petsmart usually has them), but other of the smaller ones tend to run $10 - $15 each.

kerridawn

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2009
Yukon, Oklahoma
I am sooooo glad I found this place. I have been fumbling around trying to answer all my questions, and everytime I google a question I come to this forum..Everyone seems to be so knowledgeable. Thanks !!!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you decide on more angels, I think you need to go with four or more if they're going to get along. However, it's a real possibility that two of them will pair up after a while, stake out territory, spawn, and attack anything that approaches their nest area, which they could view as half the tank or more. One angel would be simpler.

kerridawn

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2009
Yukon, Oklahoma
Okay . . Just realized the guy at the lfs was wrong on size of tank (it was used). Just took tank measurements and compaired them with others online and it is a 36 gallon tank. So this means I will definitely have to take some fish out of this idea. I was thinking of just one angel (don't want to have to pair them or worry about breeding). 2 mollies, 7 serpae tetras, 6 cory, and 1 rubbernose pleco. How is that?