Is using live rock enough?

PuNanny

Large Fish
Feb 6, 2006
Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany
:confused: I am cycling my 64 gallon tank with live rock. Before hand (a week before the live rock was put in) I put some chemical called "Cycle" in there to help start the tank. Is it ok to add that stuff when the live rock is in there or will it hurt the cycle process?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I second Wayne. I work at Petsmart, and I'm reprimanded by my managers whenever I tell customers that Cycle is useless. I just don't understand how live bacteria can sit for months in a dark bottle that experiences extreme temperature changes. This too is another marketing scheme.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
PUNanny, cycling with live rock will get you where you need to be with a fish and invert-ready tank. It just takes some time because even the best live rock will have a degree of die-off. A good time to wait before adding your cleaning crew is 10-14 days.

Cycle certainly won't hurt anything but it does as much good as aloe vera for getting the "cycle" going.

I understand Biospira makes a marine brand of bacteria that may be as good and as effective for marine as it is for fresh.

Last edited: