Itchy Betta

Aug 20, 2007
My betta isn't doing too well... he is scratching his gills on the rocks and isn't interested in food. I've searched the net and I think he has "velvet". I was recommended a product called "BettaZing", but I don't know if my pet store will carry it or not... I will check tomorrow. Until then, is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? I am moving him to a bigger tank, and it has water conditioners in it (one to remove chlorine, another called "cycle"). Help, please!

Aug 20, 2007
Update!

I went to the pet store and found a few different things, and picked out the ones that seemed the most specific: Aquari-sol (treats and prevents things like Ick, velvet, and body fungus), and some tablets which include copper sulphate, a compound that I have read to be a good treatment for velvet, from more than one source.

He has been through one round of treatment, and the silvery color on his gills is 80% gone! I'm putting hiim through another one to finish it off. In addition to the meds, I moved him to his own 5-gallon filtered tank. He has already shown his appreciation through an increased appetite (he wasn't very interested in food before), increased activity, and by making two bubblenests (the first which was sadly destroyed during a gravel vacuuming :p). I've had him for a week now, and although I am a novice betta owner, I've learned a lot (from the forum and websites), and I am certainly enjoying him!

I know I didn't get any replies, but thanks to those who read and pondered! :D