It's about time...

Mar 11, 2003
I have a spawn :). My red HM male and red cambodian female just spawned today. They are both first time spawners, so he ate some eggs at first, but now he has them all in a clump in a HUGE bubblenest. I thought the poor guy was too small for his spawn sister, she's huge! But, he managed to embrace her. My mom thought I was nuts sitting in the basement for like a 1/2 hour watching the dad take care of the eggs. LOL!

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Congratulations. I know the feeling of watching for hours at a time!

If the nest is that huge, you may, if you like, remove about a 1/3 of the eggs now to control the spawn size. Lots of breeders I run into keep the spawn sized below 60 at a time by removing some of the eggs before they hatch.

Or, you can do what I did, and get a 300+ spawn and then watch a 1/3 of them die due to starvation and tank restrictions.

Hey, I don't want to rain on your parade, congrats Alexa, I know you're the right girl for the job!!!!

Mar 11, 2003
Well, it doesn't look like there are that many eggs. And I seperated them early, because reds are notorious for having large spawns. Infact, these 2 are from a spawn of over 300. I hope the male didn't eat the rest of them. I have been sick and didn't check on the spawning tank yesterday or today....

Alexa

Jan 4, 2004
Ha, its actually interesting to watch, unfortunatly I stopped breeding betta fish. But I do remember how I would leave them alone for some time and then walk back up to my room to see if any progress was made.
The WORST possible mistake that had happened was that I had turned my filter (AquaClear 300 filter) off so that the water wasnt churning around in the tank, since my Bettas had bred. While I was at school, my mom comes in my room, turns on the filter, and all the fry hanging from the nest were sucked in.
It.
Sucked.
I felt so freaking bad for my Betta fish.

Mar 11, 2003
Aww! Thats horrible! Thankfully, I just lifted the sill seal (its this bubble wrapp-like material) from the nest to see if I still have eggs. Well, I don't have eggs...I have fry! So now I just gotta wait for them to become free swimming before giving the dad a break.

Alexa

Mar 11, 2003
Now I have free swimmers :). There aren't many, thank goodness. Maybe 20 or less. Just the perfect size to grow up in the 10 gallon they're being raised in. Man, you guys are gonna here about every little milestone these little ones hit, lol.

Alexa

Mar 11, 2003
Well, the father of the pair is almost HM, and I believe the mom is almost HM too. There were quite a few HMs in the spawn, which is nice because other wise the breeder would have kept my male. I hope the fry will have good finnage, HM or almost HM, because of the success of the finnage in the spawn the parents came from.

LOL, one of the fry was chasing a vinegar eel all over the tank and got so tired it just fell down. A few minutes later it popped up, chased another and got tired again. At first I thought he/she died, but now its hilarious to watch.

Alexa

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
congrats... i might soon to start breeding bettas i tried twice with no sucess... i think its time for me to do another try in another 2 months or so