I've got ammonia problems

May 26, 2005
BAD ones and I don't know what is going on. I'll try to be quick but that isn't my forte.

I bought my first 10 gal tank 5-6 months ago. We cycled it with zebra danios and neon tetras. I bought another tank about a month later and did the same. The ammonia and nitrite were BOTH running zero. I got a 5 gal for fry and a 2.5 gal for fry and didn't do anything to them because I trusted my husband when he said they would be fine. Ironically the ones in the 5 gal were until I got some kind of funky thing in one of my 10 gals and used that same net in there.

Anyway, I decided that since I was such a wonderful tank changer (sarcasm) that I would be able to have more fish. Hence I overcrowded.

That's when the ammonia started to build up. My husband said the filter cartridge had to be out to have the ammonia lowering stuff work. So, I did that. The newer tank followed in having ammonia build in it like that--it was also overstocked. I took out half the fish in both which left 4 guppies, 3 black tetras in one and 9 guppies in the other.

Started using the ammonia reducing stuff and changing water every 2 days (30%). NOTHING has helped. It is going on three weeks now. I did a test kit and there is NO nitrite. Only ammonia and the poor things are floating around in 8+ levels. They haven't been dying off that fast but I am afraid it is about to start.

What do I do? Could having the filter cartridge out for so long be causing this? It's just getting worse. The lady at the pet store in town said someone has to be overfeeding but we feed every other day!!! Why do I have NO nitrite in the tank? Sorry so long but I'm desperate.

Oct 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
First, when you say the ammonia and nitrate were both at "0". Did they both spike at one time and then return to "O"?

As for getting the ammonia down fast....I'm worried when you took out the filter cartridge that you didn't remove some beneficial bacteria also. It's not going to hurt anything in the tank to have the filter media with the ammonia lowering stuff. I would recommend putting it back in (if you have the old one) and getting the ammo chips - but them in a mesh bag and add it to the filter. Note: I am not an expert, but this is what I would do.

Also, you said you are changing water every 2 days. Are you vaccumming the gravel with these chages? You need to keep the food to a minimum as well as the fish poop. So feeding them a little make little waste also, but it doesn't help much if all the old stuff is still sitting on the bottom under the gravel. I would do a thorough cleaning with water change and check ammonia levels again. Rememer, you only have to feed what the fish can eat in 30 seconds. If you see food hitting the bottom after a minute - you fed too much. Also, don't think you are going to starve the fish if you skip a feeding every once in a while. They will be ok. I would say try that and stick with it - your levels may take a while to level off but they will. Right now they can't handle your bio-load. Those are only my recommendations, I'm sure the nice people on this board will have even more ideas. They helped me out a lot.

May 26, 2005
Thank you for your help! The levels did spike big time in the beginning and then returned to zero. I was so happy the day the first one finally did that. I've been wondering that about removing the good bacteria. I unfortunately don't have the old filter cartridges. Ugh. WHAT WAS I THINKING???

I'll try your advice with the ammo chips. I have actually been checking this post to see if anyone has any recommendations so I can go to the pet store and get what is needed. Thank you for being such a quick responder!

I do vaccum the gravel with every single change. It's getting harder to do them every two days because my 34 week pregnancy is progressing and I have a 17 month old who likes to help out LOL. But I'll keep at it.

Thanks again!

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
This problem happens a lot in smaller tanks with small power filters. Tanks get overcrowded easily due to spawning, and there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria to colonize on. Many folks like to change their filter pad fairly often to keep the tank clean, however, this is the single largest source of bacterial colonization in a tank such as yours. It will probably take at least two weeks for bacteria to begin colonizing the new pad to be worthwhile. In the meantime, you have ammonia and nitrite issues!

The solution is easy: create more surface area for the bacteria! You can do this by adding fake plants with lots of leaves, decor, and/or even another filter so that you may stagger filter pad changes (one this month, the other the next month). A submerged sponge filter is nice to have, as they hold a tremendous amount of bacteria, and are fry safe (and cheap). While ammo chips may help during this problem period, what's to say this problem won't happen again and again? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :)

Feb 27, 2005
central illinois
how about starting fresh with some biospira? dont know you money situation but you can net fish drain tank refill add bio spira and add fish all in about an hour. only problem is its about $20 per tank (in illinois) your price may be different. with two kids i know if i have the money the fastest way possible is preferable.lol...congrat on the coming rugrat... *BOUNCINGS

May 26, 2005
Thank you for the responses. Ya'll have been very nice and I've bookmarked this board so I can remember to keep coming back here. I've been debating buying new plants for the tanks anyway so it's nice to know that may help things stabilize quicker *thumbsups I have reduced feeding as much as I possibly can and am about to go change some of the water out again. I've thought about starting over but was hoping to avoid it. I just hate seeing the fish I have in there now struggling :( Life is about learning though, isn't it?

Thanks again!