ive got ich on my starter fish !!!!!!!!!!!

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Hi,
today i was checking up on my 10g tank because its cycling with 3 guppies and a catfish in...i tested the water yesterday and it was at its highest peak in cycling but when iwas checking the tank i noticed one of my guppies had ich on its tail and fin...i wanted to take the fish out as soon as the cycling stage started to prevent this but i got advised not to... is this usual to get a disease on starter fish and shall i just start to treat it immediatley ??? please help ASAP :(

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
no its not usual to get ich on your first batch of fish--luckily, it can be treated with a variety of medications (copper, etc)...just be careful and follow the directions on the label and be wary of what you use (catfish can be very sensitive)

Iceman

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2004
Carpentersville Illinois
Visit site
I'm fighting Ich in my tank right now to. First of all don't use the tablets that when you put them in the tank they fizz. I tried those and they didn't work. What works is Ich-X. The chain stores like petco don't carry it so you would probably have to buy it at your LFS. As long as you follow the directions for Ich-X it will work really well. I hope that I was a help.

Iceman

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Instead of medicating, maybe just put the temp up a little bit for a few days? The ich won't like that and will speed up their lifecycle process and then you'll be able to see if it really is ich or not.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
One day only of treatment won't be beneficial to anybody and might cause undue stress to the fish so if you haven't done it yet, then I wouldn't, espeically with the catfish in there. :)

Make sure you have a bucket lower than the tank then put one end of the tube in the tank your syphoning from and suck on the other end just to get it started. Be careful not to suck too hard or you'll get a mouthful of yuck!

Aug 2, 2005
orange county, CA
the best treatment for ich is salt. less stressfull on the fish and works just as good as any medication if not better. between 1-3 teaspoons per gallon. i put in 2 blue rams in my tank (dont have a q-tank) about 2 weeks ago and yesterday i noticed a few white specs on one of them, so what id do is start by cranking the heater up to about 84. then mix 1/4 tsp of salt per gallon in a big cup of tank water and then pour it in and do that every 4 hours 4 times, and that slowly brings it up to 1 tsp per gallon. then the next day ill do it again to bring it up to 2 tsp per gallon. i like to stay at about that level of salt per gallon of water. leave it like that for a week, then do a 50% water change, refill the tank with clean water that i already put 2 tsps of salt per gallon in and after another week i make my water changes with no salt.(usually the last sign of ich is within the first week, the second week i keep salt in the tank just to make sure i got it all) and thats that.

p.s. the first time i had to deal with ich i used coppersafe and it killed 3 of my fish. i had to deal with ich again after that, used salt and none of my fish died.

Aug 2, 2005
orange county, CA
30 liters is almost 8 gallons. i use jungle labs aquarium salt. but table salt IS ok. you dont wanna shock the fish with a bunch of salt so start off with 1/4 tsp per gallon so thats...2 tsps for the 8 gallons, mix the 2 tsps of salt in water first then poor it in the tank and do that every 4 hours for a total of 4 times. that will give your 1 tsp per gallon. the next day you can do it again to bring it up to 2 tsps per gallon, thats what i do and it has worked every time. you can go up to 3 tsps if you choose but i never have had to, like i said before you should see the last sign of ich within 7-10 days, of course it can take longer.(make sure the heater is set between 82-85, that will speed up the ich cycle. if you dont it may take longer than 10 days) keep the salt in the tank for at LEAST 5 days AFTER the last sign of ich just to make sure you get the sneaky ones.