Jack Dempsey..A loner forever?

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Help me out with this. I bought 5 tanks from one lady one day.. One 10-gallon had only a Jack Dempsey in it, because she said he would fight with any fish that were put in with him. So I bought him so feeder goldfish, and he promptly ate a few. But one goldfish is still alive two weeks later, possibly because he's too big now to eat.
My observation is that this is the greatest fish I've ever seen. He actually plays with me, and I've never seen that in a fish. I have a structure in his tank that he actually turns completely sideways to go in to hide from me. He then turns sideways to get out once he thinks I've left.
Also, I have a pelican in his tank that is made of glass. Jack will hide behind the pelican when I'm in the room and keep peeking out from behind it looking at me to see if I've gone. I've never seen this level of interaction from a fish.
My question is if any fish will do will in the tank with Jack, or if he's a lonely bachelor forever.
Thanks,
Kyle

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Don't know much about J.Ds. But thought you might like this from Wikipedia
Jack Dempsey (fish)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
?Jack Dempsey

Conservation status: Secure

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Superclass: Osteichthyes

Class: Actinopterygii

Order: Perciformes

Family: Cichlidae

Genus: Cichlasoma

Species: C. octofasciatum

Binomial name
Cichlasoma octofasciatum
(Regan, 1903)

The Jack Dempsey (Cichlasoma octofasciatum) is a cichlid fish named for the 1920's boxer Jack Dempsey. The name alludes to its aggressive nature. Like most cichlids it is territorial, especially against its own kind and similar species. The fish was once very popular due to its striking appearance and personable mannerisms. While it is a popular aquarium fish, due to its behavior it is not easy to keep.

The coloration changes as the fish matures from a light gray or tan with faint turquoise flecks to a dark purple-gray with very bright, iridescent blue, green, and gold flecks. The dorsal and anal fins of mature males have long, pointed tips. Females lack these exaggerated tips.

The fish is native to Yucatan and Central America, where it is found in slow-moving waters, such as swampy areas with warm, murky water, weedy, mud- and sand-bottomed canals, drainage ditches, and rivers. It is also established as an introduced species in Australia, the USA and Thailand (presumably as an aquarium escape). The Jack Dempsey natively lives in a tropical climate and prefers water with a 7.0 - 8.0 pH, a water hardness of 9 - 20 dGH, and a temperature range of 72 - 86 °F (22 - 30 °C). It can reach up to 25 cm (10 in) in length. It is carnivorous, eating worms, crustaceans, insects and other fish.

Jack Dempseys lay their eggs on the substrate (the bottom of the aquarium or pool). Like most cichlids, they show substantial parental care: both parents help incubate the eggs and guard the fry when they hatch. Jack Dempseys are known to be attentive parents, pre-chewing food to feed to their offspring.

In 1997 the San Francisco Chronicle reported that a man had died when he put a Jack Dempsey into his mouth as a joke: the fish presumably erected its fin spines to avoid being swallowed, a characteristic cichlid anti-predator response, and became wedged in the man's throat.

statman

Medium Fish
Nov 3, 2004
iowa
Visit site
Timbo said:
In 1997 the San Francisco Chronicle reported that a man had died when he put a Jack Dempsey into his mouth as a joke: the fish presumably erected its fin spines to avoid being swallowed, a characteristic cichlid anti-predator response, and became wedged in the man's throat.
you gotta be kidding me...:eek:

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
Judging by tank (10g) where you are keeping the JD, he has to be quite small i.e. juvenile and still skittish. You have to move him into a larger tank, at least 30g. In 55g you will be able to keep other New World comparable cichlids with him. Try not to feed him feeder fish for fear of diseases and malnutrition, moreover, it raises aggression by awaking a predator in rather more peacful omnivore - you diminish chances of putting some other fish in with him.

Mar 4, 2006
I have a pair of Jacks in with a Cichlid Pike, Royal Pleco, 2 Sail Fin Sharks and a Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid. The Dwarf is about half the size of the Jacks, but they don't bother it or any of the others. I have had a bunch of Jacks over the years and somestimes they are just mean, but I think he may be fine with tankmates in a bigger tank. Enjoy him. They are very cool fish!