Java Fern Question

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
I used a trimming (from the stem I guess its called) from the java fern in my ten gallon to move it to my 29 gallon that is still cycling. One of the leaves came off during the transition and it had all of these black spots on it, so I left it in the junk bucket (what I was using to transport it from one room to the next) along with some gravel from the ten gallon and left it on my counter for a few days.

This morning there are sort of new shoots coming from the floating leaf. Is that real growth?

Feb 27, 2009
If you want to use a 'trimming' of a Java Fern, be sure it has at least 3 or 4 leaves and 1/2 inch of rhisome (that is the horizontal root that should never be buried in the substrate).

The leaf with the black spots is likely a leaf being sacraficed by the parent plant to produce plantlets. You will have more luck if you leave the leaf in the established tank until the plantlets have several leaves each and have developed the clinging roots so they can anchor themselves to somethings.

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
Alright! I will stick it back in there. I thought it was dead so was just going to throw it away. :)

Can it float along in there? Or does it do better near the gravel?

Feb 27, 2009
It can float if that is your preference, but the roots the plantlets develop will want to cling to something. Once you see a buch of dark 'strings' under the dots, its better that the leaf be tied to something (rock, driftwood, other 'solid' deco) to give the roots something to grasp. Sort of like walking for a toddler. If you carry them all the time, they don't develop the strong legs they need to be independent!

Java ferns do not work well 'planted' in gravel, unless you can be sure to keep the rhizome above the gravel. One trick I do is to anchor the plant to a rock and then bury the rock into the substrate. This ensures that the clinging roots have something to cling to, and the rhizome stays aboveground. This makes it easy to move the java fern around later if I want to. Sort of like a 'potted plant' on your patio, if its in the pot, you can move it wherever you want. If its in the ground, its a bigger production to move it.

Last edited:

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
Oh, and thanks for letting me know about not burying the rhizome. I did that in my new tank, so today when I get home I will adjust the plant and also put the sprouting one in that tank as well.

:)