Java Moss Maintenance?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
How do you keep your Java Moss in check?

My Moss has become this clump of tangled mass that always gets sucked up by my gravel vacc, filter, or entangled over all my other plants.

I've heard that moss grow them on top of a lattice or framework...how is this done?

Are there any other ways to manage java moss?

thanks!

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
whats a good material to build a lattice with? ice cream popiscle sticks? those plastic eggcrates? mesh?

thanks!

edit: I just found something on Dr Fosters and Smith called the Moss Covered Coconut. I was thinking of doing the same thing. If I buy a coconut from a fruit stand, do you think I need to cure it or dry it out somehow before putting it in my tank?

heres the link with pic of the coconut moss...

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Moss Covered Coconut Hut

Last edited:

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
helena21...did you airdry the coconut, boil, or do anything else special after scooping out the meat? I'm just wondering if theres some sorta "curing" process to the coconut..like driftwood.

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
I have mine tied onto a bamboo stick. its growing very well even though it was already half dead when i tied it onto the bamboo

I have a coconut shell in my tank. just make sure its washed well and it will be fine.

angel51431

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I've heard of taking a hair net and using it to... secure a bunch of java moss to a rock. It'd just look stupid for a little while, but once it grows out of the net it takes on this perfectly round bush look. Just that there's no cave like a hollow coconut shell would provide.