(jaws theme) and getting sharks

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
I just hit it big in business. I have more money than... well than I used to. Thus as the old saying goes, cashola =sharkolas. I'm going to get a 200 (maybe even larger) tank and shark it up and also put in an eel and tropical fish if they would live well with the sharks. Any suggestions on sharks? Or keeping up the tank well?

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
thank you very much for that very irrelevant response. if anybody else reads my thing.... respond if you know anything (duh) and if ur trying to be funny, at least go all the way and say something REALLY stupid... you cant just border the funny/stupid line

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
wow igor... if you ever read this, i really must be stupider than i ever imagined... i just learned that a bamboo shark is a shark! not a piece of bamboo! so really IM the dumbass. sheesh, from now on, im gunna actually learn about ALL sharks before i say something i think is right. i was only accustomed to carpet sharks, leopard, nurse, horn, port jackson... i suppose the bamboo shark is another name for one of those. well as the other old saying goes "sharkolas NOT= brainolas"

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
bamboo sharks are one of the best suited for the home aquarium as the are not too active and stay small, altohugh i would go larger then a 200 gal so i could get some width with the length, dunno what size this is but 8'x3'x30" would be nice, speaking of which the lfs here has a bunch of bamboo shark egg casings ready to hatch any day now, its cool to see the sharks developing over time in the eggs

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Sharks need pretty big tanks, minimum 8 foot in my opinion and perfect water conditions. And perfect means perfect - they respond badly to anything above trace nitrate let alone ammonia and nitrite. You think you've hit it big in business - well say hello to the 100 dollar weekly water change cost! 200 dollars is a nothing tank for these fish!
Pretty much nothing works well long term with sharks in the constraints of a normal tank size - small stuff gets chewed , bigger fish will likely hassle the shark.
Scott Michael has written a nice book, but all his tank sizes are small in many peoples opinion.
Many Sharks should not be for sale, especially nurse sharks and the ilk, large, coldwater fish that need thousands of gallons. You've got to guess 95% + of all cpative sharks die early and unnaturally.

Gills

Small Fish
Aug 14, 2003
The Ozarks
Visit site
I love it, that is a great idea. I can imagine how cool it will look with the sharks swimming right above the sand bottom in and out of rocks, 2 cool! Word to the wise, 2 years ago I bought my dream 180 Oceanic tank, spent 2 weeks making the custom oak base and canopy then spent the next 3 months setting up and cycling the tank. after 6 months I had what I always wanted a beautiful SW aqu. with the fish I loved to look at. But then I slowly realized that I was spending more money on water changes, buffers, filter cartridges, carbon, food, ect. than I was on my new truck. That does not include the the time I set aside each day for maintance. After I cried like a 2 year old I sold my dream tank and contents. Now I am setting up a 55 gal.
Just keep in mind the cost, and if you feel you can do it, then set it up and post some pics. so I can drool and dream.

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
i dont have a camera for the computer and dont really plan on it.... however im sure that there are some willing people that will show you thier shark pictures. and i dont get the point of having fish if you are trying to keep them in an actually ocean inside of a house! i wasnt even aware that thousand gallon tanks are even for sale! i think that you should get what you want, yet with some caring towards the fish. keeping them alive is defeintly a must, but is there anyone else that agrees with me that you should ENJOY your fish and not spend all your life on them?

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Yes, but if you get a 3 foot long shark you'd better accept some responsibility for it, and that means a big tank, and proper maintenance. If you find that level of care and responsibility too much, don't get a shark, and I agree, iy's a lot of hassle. I personally don't think you should get you want as a right, you should get what you are capable of keeping.

Gills

Small Fish
Aug 14, 2003
The Ozarks
Visit site
I totaly agree with wayne, I belive keeping sharks, as cool as it would be, is not something the avarage fish lover should do or could afford to do. Keeping the fish you decide on alive is the #1 issue. You said you should enjoy your fish but not spend your life on them, but to some dedicated people fish and the aquariums are their life. It is just like everybody else, different people have different hobbies and they spend all of their free time enjoying that hobbie. Why not get a 125 gal aqu. and put some triggers and a panther grouper in there, you would have the aggressive tank kind of like the sharks but with fish and a tank size that you could afford and handle.

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
well i see your point but i dont think id be doing any harm to the shark... just not put as much time into the sharks as much as somebody as you said that IS their hobby would (sorry for the horrible english im getting kinda tired). still, id put the necessary time into it, yet i dont know how much it will be untill i actually get one. thanks for the warnings however

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Why would you keep a shark in anything less than a 350g tank?

And even that I would consider cramped for most sharks. Yes they are cool to own, but they are an extreme amount of work too. Make sure you are up to it first, read all you can about sharks and shark care including maintanance of a large sw tank.

All that said I have to go feed my 3 mako sharks I have in my swimming pool :D

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can't believe you don't see what harm it will do the shark! Slack on tank maintentanance, and for a big tank that is a few hours a week, and pretty soon it will die. They are fragile as well as big, and really not a fish for the less than enthusiastic.