JBJ Nano Cube instruction manual sucks!

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Hello. I just brought the JBJ 12 gal Nano Deluxe and was wondering where the power plug for the LED Nite Vu lites are. I dont see a cord for the nite lights...is it joined to the main CF lights? Are they battery powered?

Also, where do I run the power cord for my heater? I dont see any holes or grommets from which to pass the power cord through. Do I need to drill a hole through the back of the tank hood?

The manual makes no mention of either the LED power or the heater cords... its just a one page sheet with nothing on it basically..
If someone has one of these nano cubes please help!

thanks!

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I don't have one ...yet. But I've looked at enough of them. I might have a few hints. The rocker switch for the lights is likely multi-positioned. Main lights/on, main lights off and moonlites/on, all lights/off. Re: the heater cord. On the 12 the back is pretty well sealed. As far as I could see there is no place for the power cord. I asked your question at the LFS, "Where does the heater cord go." He said, "Well the lights warm the water." Sorry I asked, I wanted to ask him if he slept with his lights on 24/7.

Yep, you will likely have to drill a hole unless you can find some space I missed. Other than that, it is a pretty nifty unit I think. Would like to see pics when you get it set up.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hey thanks Revfred!

Yeah i cant see any place to run my heater power cords through either..the hood is very sealed! Thats funny what your LFS guy said. I hate to drill a hole through the hood, esp since it would void my warranty, but I may have to.

I just got my replacement ballast today..the first one blew up and started to smoke when I tried it out!

Will post pics when I finally set it up with LR and everything..currently figuring out the best way to add powerheads to it.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
discus4evergrl - the 12 gal JBJ Deluxe Nano cube that I brought can be used either for SW or FW. The lighting on the hood is about 48 watts..good enough for some soft corals. However, the pump thats installed only puts out like 106 gph which is not enough for corals but adequate for SW fish.

I am adding LR to mine and making it a nano reef tank so i need additional water flow.

balloonfish - I just got back from my LFS and looked at their 12 gal nano setup. The guy showed me the back of the hood where there was a slot/hole for the heater cord. Theres some sorta black rubber grommet/seal that you can remove to make more space..enough for a heater cord hopefully!

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
yeah, I was look at them at one point. I know they offer one they call a sw deluxe which has 72 watts of 50/50 lighting .....but all the forums on them had people going into great detail about the "mods" they had to make to them. I can't mod nothing so I didn't go that route.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah ive been reading about all the mods..they seem complicated. I got the JBJ nano cube cause it was supposed to be "all in one" kinda thing. Now I find out I need to upgrade it some more to make it suitable for the kind of tank I want... :(