Joining the Dark Side.

mattistat

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2006
Sothern California
im going to set up a 55 minimum sized salt water fish tank and i like Anemone snowflake eels and lion fish. Could i get all of them in the same tank? and do you still have a clean up crew with agessive fish? also i know Anemone are hard to take care of and im not going to have one verry early i just want to try one some time when i have the experiance.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
though lion fish and eels are cool youll regret it trust me..... dont get me wrong i love the hobby but my first tank i chose aggresive fish aswell only now its a few years down the road and im still stuck with these aggressive fish *thumbsdow seriously with aggresive fish that means no crabs, no snails, no shrimp,no corals, youll have poorer water conditions as these fish get bigger and are messier eaters....a 55 gallon tank would be bad a$$ setup as a fish only with inverts tank to begin and then as you learn more maybe a year from now you can save up for better lighting and start introducing corals *thumbsups but the only way this will be possible is if you start out with 100% reef safe fish now that way nothing gets in your way down the road......now im stuck with a 125gallon aggresive tank wich i could only imagine being setup as a reef *SICK* the way i look at it if you want aggressive fish might as well stick with fresh water imao thats where salt and fresh are seperated salt is so much more interesting when you take a closer look and see evrything besides just the fish goin on in there ie. crabs, snails, shrimp, and many other inverts... im not tryin to tell you what to do just tryin you give sum advice ;)

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yup my friend begun with a lionfish in a 110g and was stuck with it. Eats pretty much anything that fits in his mouth + the sting can make a grown man cry. It's like 3 bees stings in one place. It craps a lot but it's hardy. It can be done but TRe said it...you'll be limited with your choice of inhabitants.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
It is possible to keep Lion's and Snowflakes in a reef tank along with anemonies, corals and other fish to big for them to eat, but not with crustations.

I would recommend a bigger tank like a 75g or bigger if you are keen on keeping these fish. And you must have a very tight fitting lid on the tank if you plan on keeping an eel.