jst a quick qeustion

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
That's a very strange question, why do you ask?

Fish don't "grow to their environment" as people are often told. If they stop growing because they're in a tank far too small for them it's called stunting, a process which is cruel to the fish and causes premature death. You should therefore NEVER put a fish in a tank that won't be able to house its adult size, like sticking a goldfish in a goldfish bowl or an oscar in a 20 gallon tank.

Kirst

New Fish
Aug 24, 2009
Victoria in Australia
and make sure you look up how big a fish will get before you buy it - most fish / pet shops around here have the wrong sizes on the tank cards. I have corrected a local shop more then once about their giant danios and also full range of sharks!! i know a guy who kept a salt water croc in a 6 foot tank and it never got big enough to fill it :( was so cruel he was so sad and cramped! needless to say i no longer speak to said person was we clearly disagreed on what was and wasn't cruel and inhumane.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
:(

and make sure you look up how big a fish will get before you buy it - most fish / pet shops around here have the wrong sizes on the tank cards. I have corrected a local shop more then once about their giant danios and also full range of sharks!! i know a guy who kept a salt water croc in a 6 foot tank and it never got big enough to fill it :( was so cruel he was so sad and cramped! needless to say i no longer speak to said person was we clearly disagreed on what was and wasn't cruel and inhumane.
That's awful!

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I once heard that Goldfish, for example, secrete some kind of hormone that, if left to build up in a small tank will cause the fish to become stunted. On the other hand, if one does regular water changes, this hormone will not build up and the fish will continue to grow if properly taken care of.

Not sure how much truth there is to this. Also, this is not an excuse for keeping large fish in small tanks.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I once heard that Goldfish, for example, secrete some kind of hormone that, if left to build up in a small tank will cause the fish to become stunted. On the other hand, if one does regular water changes, this hormone will not build up and the fish will continue to grow if properly taken care of.

Not sure how much truth there is to this. Also, this is not an excuse for keeping large fish in small tanks.
Hmm I've not heard that before.

The problem is, if he plans on keeping pangasius, there is no tank big enough to keep one in other than in huge public aquaria. This species includes iridescent sharks and mekong catfish, fish very capable of growing quickly to metres in length.