Jumping Rainbow Shark

miky443

Small Fish
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
My new Rainbow Shark jumped out of my 55 gal tank last night and croaked. I have a hood...he must have jumped out the filter opening. Are they known for jumping?????????

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
You've just encountered one of the fundamental laws of the aquarium hobby: If you have fish, eventually one of them will leap out regardless of how well sealed you think your hood is or how small the openings are.

I don't know how vigorous a jumper rainbow sharks can be, but all fish have the potential for leaping from a tank, and will do so if presented with the opportunity. I've a rainbow shark that shows no behavior for jumping, but he can pick up pretty impressive speeds when he's chasing his tankmates around. Occassionally I hear him thunk himself against the glass if he is going to fast to turn.

I've a catfish too that definately shows jumper in it. At night I can hear it swimming on the surface of the water.

Once I even had a large fat faintail goldfish go for freedom. Luckily he collided with the hood!
~~Colesea

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Everything jumps. I've had the pleasure of being hit in the face by a flying discus, and I've seen little cories go real well. But sharks are well known for jumping

Dec 11, 2002
Flint, Michigan
Visit site
Well now I have two rainbow sharks and they do not show any ability at all of jumping they are always hiding in this log I have and only come out to eat other than that I don't see them much. Now is this normal behavior for them or is something wrong?

Matt

Dec 11, 2002
Flint, Michigan
Visit site
My two rainbow sharks school together and they are supposed to be schooling fish I believe. Maybe once in a while I might see the big one chase the little one but they are always together. Their tanks mates are:

8 Tiger Barbs
2 Algea Eaters
2 Rosie Reds
3 Mini Crabs
3 Ghost Shrimps
1 Loach