Jungle Labs Ich Medication

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I’ve never had a problem with fish diseases before. This morning I noticed that 6 or so of my fish have white spots on them. I’m assuming they have Ich. I went to the store and got Jungle Labs Ich Medication. Their instructions are vague. It tells you how much to give, but it doesn’t tell you how long to leave it in. I’m going to assume that it’s 24 hours, because it says, “If Ick persists, treat every 24 hours until it clears.”
Also, how badly is this going to stain my tank?

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
well, I hope you didnt put it in your tank because it will stain everything in there. I would suggest you remove the fish to a "treatment tank" and treat them in there, I know that isnt always possible as alot of ppl arent set up to do that. If you HAVENT treated the tank, do this...raise your tank temp to 86 and use rocksalt/aquarium salt to treat...what size is your tank? depends on how much salt..the heat speeds up the cycle of ich...Im sorry my puter isnt working right and I dont have access to my info to be more specific for you...do a search on here about ich treatment or hopefully someone else can be more effective at the moment than I...IMHO chemicals should be the avenue of last resort.

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
Ive used that stuff in my 10 gallon once. It does work but you have to be carefulnot good for scaleless fish. And yea when it does fizz up it turns your air tubes and silicon seals blue. But that goes away after away. You cant tell that it was like that before. I would go for the temp and salt method. less chemicals

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
definitely avoid the med treatment if you haven't already done it. The meds can stain, and they can also stress and kill fish in the wrong doses, and the wrong meds. I personally have used the heat and the heat/salt method and both have worked for me, it just takes a little patience as it's a 7-10 day cycle using heat.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I already put my second dose in this morning after doing a 25% water change. I don't have enough left for a 3rd dose, so maybe when I go to the store I'll get some aquarium salt instead.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I personally prefer the Jungle fizz tabs. I never had any problems with staining, but it is a stressfull time for the fish. If any are in bad health you stand a good chance of loosing them. I am only keeping the smaller fish as feeders and would rather a sick fish go ahead and die than be dropped into my main tank to spread disease to my RBP's. My last batch had a 100% survival rate(untill they got to the big tank of course), but the one I'm on now has lost 2 minnows and 1 goldfish. Tank is overstocked and very high maintainence.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
scubadude said:
I personally prefer the Jungle fizz tabs. I never had any problems with staining, but it is a stressfull time for the fish. If any are in bad health you stand a good chance of loosing them. I am only keeping the smaller fish as feeders and would rather a sick fish go ahead and die than be dropped into my main tank to spread disease to my RBP's. My last batch had a 100% survival rate(untill they got to the big tank of course), but the one I'm on now has lost 2 minnows and 1 goldfish. Tank is overstocked and very high maintainence.
The silicone stained a little bit. It didn't really stain anything else. I was afraid it would stain my silk plants, but they look ok.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
could you maybe, at least in the future, do the treatment in a hospital tank of some sort so that it doesnt stain your normal tank..? or does the entire tank need to be treated in order to fully treat ich...?

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
Right now I have a 29 gallon tank. I also have a 10 and a 20 gallon tank but they would be too small to move all of my fish into. I'm ok with the silicone being stained, it doesn't look that bad. I just didn't want my plants to get stained. I could've taken them out, but I didn't want to take away their hiding places.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I didn't have any carbon in the filters. I will put some in when I'm done with the medication.
I hope my fish will make it through this. I can tell that the medication is effecting them. The smaller fish (Tetras, Minnows, Barbs and Danios) seem to be doing well. My Gouramis aren't eating as much and are less active. :(

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
That Jungle Labs medication is making my Gouramis sick. I exchanged it for Aquariun Products brand Cure Ick. I chaged 50% of the water and put carbon in the filter. Should I wait until tomorrow to put the new medication in?

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I wouldnt put ANOTHER medication in the tank ...period! Take the new med back to the pet store and get some salt. Gradually raise the temp in your tank to 86 and tomorrow morning add the salt. Let it run like that for several days leaving the carbon in. When the ich is gone, do a 50% water change.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
Thanks, I hope this works. I don't even know why I exchanged one med for another. Now I realize that the Cure-Ick is basically the same as Jungle Labs. I'm afraid to use it because my Gouramis can't handle it. It's funny because they warn you about using meds with Tetras, but my Tetras are fine. It's the Gouramis who are sensitive to it.
My Gouramis seem to be coming around slowly ever since I removed the medication. I hope they can recover. I love those fish!!!!