Junk in gravel & Amonia Questions

Mar 15, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
Visit site
My 29 gallon is 3 weeks old. I used water from the store along with Bio Spira so that I could add fish immediately. I added 5 mollies and an algea eater right away. At the end of the first week I did a 20% water change, had my water tested and got a good report so added 5 glass tetras. At the end of the second week I got my water tested, was told the amonia was a little high. I did a 20% water change and added 5 small tetras, a snail and two small crabs. Now, at the ned of the third week I had the water tested and was told the the amonia level was moderatley high. One molly died. I just did a 20% water change. Now for my questions...

1. Is doing a water change the only/best way to deal with high amonia?

2. How long will it be before there is enough bacteria to deal with the amonia?

3. I feed twice a day, and very little food ever reached the bottom. When I vacuum during my water change a lot of junk gets sucked up. Is it normal to have A LOT of junk still in the tank and floating around after a water change?

4. I know it is recommended to do a water change every week, is that most often you can do it. What if I want to get more of the junk out of the gravel? I don't understand how I will ever get caught up with it if I am only vacuuming the gravel once a week.

Sorry for such a long post...but I know this is the best place to get answers to my questions.

Thanks all!!!

MySonsMother

Joanne

Medium Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
1. A water change is the best way to get rid of high ammonia. You can get products to bind the ammonia but they will give you false readings.

2. The million dollar question. All tanks cycle at different rates. I started cycling a 5.5g 5 weeks ago and am just starting to get nitrites.

3. You arent very likely to get everything out when doing a water change but maybe once a month or so do a thorough vacuum. It will involve a much bigger water change though because you'll lose a lot of it when vacuuming.

4. You can do a water change whenever you feel its necessary.
While cycling you shouldnt be vacuuming your gravel at all. If it is really bad then cut back on your feeding. The more you feed the more waste is being produced.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Adding new fish before your cycle had completed was a mistake in my view. No doubt the lfs was delighted with the extra sales and the future sales to replace fish you'll lose during the cyclle.

You should feed very lightly during the cycle if you're doing fish-in, this would obviate the problem with waste that you cannot syphon out - Joanne is correct to say that you shouldn't be vacuuming your gravel whilst cycling, best to leave it undisturbed.

We hear a lot of good things about it so has the Bio-spira worked for you, what are your ammonia and nitrite readings?