just a couple of observations

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I haven't really been paying much attention to my "reef" lately for a number of reasons (work, sleep, laziness, etc)....so after being reinspired at the lfs, I decided to observe my dark tank (a favorite pastime) and noticed a couple of new things--this is the point where half of you will stop reading the post ;)

1) two small white snails with faint tan/brown spots on their shell were spotted grazing (these guys are new...must have been hiding for 3 months)
2) a bristleworm--i had caught a glimpse of this guy a month ago...this is the only one i've ever seen in my tank
3) some sort of brown polyp-like organism (hydroid? anemonia?) feeding in a dark hole in my LR
4) two aiptasia have appeared out of nowhere (can't wait to Joe's Juice em)
5) the macro organism population has crashed (had some nice worms, mysid shrimp, pods, etc) probably because of the addition of my evil but oh-so-cute sixline wrasse
6) my precious emerald crab is MIA (probably because of the sixline)
7) there are more hermit crabs alive than I thought--I guess my wrasse didn't kill em all off
8) cerith snails!!! they live!!! it was assumed that my sixline slaughtered all of them...but I am beginning to see them reappear ever so slowly

I think I have some sort of obsession with micro organisms.....good times over here
my reef is still looking pretty bare--coralline is growing only in certain areas...and the hair algae is surging back

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Sounds as if that six-line is one evil fish if hes not destorying a pod population hes mutalating a crab or hermit aha. Has your six line ever gone after your cleaner?

Chuck Nasty

Medium Fish
Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
Talking about things in your tank that comes out when u turn the lights off.Well the things i see are some red looking worms that come out of my live rock,some little bugs that look like sea roaches but thay are real small.Last night we say a little white work swimming in the water and thats one thing i have never seen.I just dont know what is good and what is bad.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
i also have those red worms and the guy at hte bet store gave me sand to seed my tank and i though i got a 3/4 inch longs snail but all it does is wave this tentacles around and then i though i have a red legged hermit with a cracked shell because its in a hole and i can see a red leg but it hasnt move for three days??

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I just found a small claw in my sand? LR is always full of suprises. Can't wait till i get more. The fiji and base rock i got the girl dusted off the snails and hermits but i got one piece of carribean out of the marhsall island show tank and it gave me a small starfish and a snail and that weird red legged thingy

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
dbacksrat said:
nice--I wish I had photoshop :)

OCC, when I was on vacation, the sixline slaughtered both of my cleaner shrimps
damn both of em, if that six line was in my tank and took out two cleaners hed be gone pretty damn fast lol, but thats just me. Is the cleaner in your avatar one that he went crazy on or is that a new one?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I love sixlines, we have one at the lfs i work at (in a reef, as luck would have it) and everyone likes it because it's a small small baby. We can never catch it, so it stays. They're really curious and always swim around the caves and stuff. If i didn't have 2 clowns, i'd get one.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My old sixline has killed a few blennies, damsels and now my male clarkii clown. He's now camped in my nano.
He is pretty though, and has never had a health issue in the time I've had him. he's no worse than most dottybacks