Just a little bit of concern

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Hey everyone...It's been a while since I've had a tank setup, but I've recently set up a 10 gallon artificially planted freshwater, and I'm having a little concern. Right now there are 3 Blue Gouramis ( yeah.. tank may be a little small ) and 2 tiger Barbs. I had 3 barbs one died, and I think it's because it didn't get to the food fast enough. The gouramis are really quick and aggressive at getting to the food, and I'm also concerned the other Barbs aren't going to make it. Is there any sinking food that I could try to get the Barbs to eat a better amount? Right now I'm just using flake, and occasional dried bloodworms.

Another question is about Nitrite...I did a reading the other day and my Nitrite is right around the 1.2 mark... and I know it has to be at 0. I have done two water changes, and I only feed them 2x a day. I just can't seem to get it down to zero. Is there anything besides water changes, and controlling the feeding that I can do in order to bring that level down? I'm concerned that it may get too high, and too harmful for them?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
well you are right about the tank being too small for your fish, and tiger barbs need to be kept in groups of atleast 6, which is impossible for a 10g. watch for aggression from the gouramis towards each other too, and i would seriously consider rethinking the fish stock in your tank. but the first question of course should be: did you cycle the tank? how long has it been set up? what are the other water specs (ammonia, ph, nitrate, temp)?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Take a look at these threads about cycling...it sounds like your tank is probably cycling and the best way to get that nitrite down to 0 is for that cycle to finish. Once its finished your ammonia and nitrite will stay at 0 with the help of the bacteria that is establishing itself on your filter. In the meantime, only thing you can do is water changes to keep the level at a more acceptable level for the fish. Prolonged exposure to high ammonia or nitrites can definitely hurt them.

http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19357 & http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19568