Just bought a complete tank, have questions

Jun 23, 2008
I have browsed through the stickies and there is a wealth of good information. I purchased this:

it has a variety of fish including a black shark (?) and some angels and what not. I need to transport this tank and the fish. What is the best way to do this while removing the fish from the tank? How much water should I save?

I sea kayaked the Baja penninsula a few years back and vowed to setup a saltwater aquarium with all the corals and stones I found. Fast forward to now and that never happened and I would like to put those stones in my tank. They have been out of the water for 3 years now, is there a threat from dormant bacteria or non-native compounds? Will I have any problems with the addition of these items?

TIA

Alex G.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
Make sure you keep any biological media from the operating filter, in aquarium water, and set up that QUICK, so the colonies do not die off.

Transport the fish in a bucket with about 3/4 full the present aquarium water. You can save a couple buckets of the original water if you want, to put in your system, but the good bacteria is on the "SURFACES" like the gravel and stuff. Do not allow the gravel, or decor/rocks to dry out, this will help preserve some of the bacterial count. SET IT UP QUICK with treated water (using a dechlorinate, dechloramine agent).

About the sea rocks.....You should be able to use them just fine. Rinse well in regular tap water, let them soak a few days in water, to leach out any biological waste that may have been dried on, rinse again with some de~chlorinated water, and all should be well when you put them into the tank.

;)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I've never had to move a tank but if I did this is what I would do: Get a styrofoam ice chest and siphon some tank water directly into it. This is what I would put the fish in. Then get a regular old bucket and siphon wome tank water into it and put as much of decorations in it as possible. You could also put filter media in it. That will preserve the good bacteria. Then siphon out the rest of water except for just enough to keep the gravel covered. Again, to preserve good bacteria. When I get to where I'm going, set it back up with preserved water (just in case there is a ph difference with new water you'll be adding) and then finish filling it up with new dechorinated water.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
The stuff from the ocean might raise your pH a little, if they are indeed old coral skeletons. Won't be a drastic spike, but over time. Just keep an eye on it.

Rubbermaid containers are your friend. Save as much water/gravel as you can and pack the fish seperatly. Move the tank empty, or as close to empty as you can possible get it. Carrying around a glass box with water isn't the best of plans.

Jun 23, 2008
Thanks so far for the help and input.

Cichlid-Man, will soaking the coral skeletons and shells in tap water solve that? I intend on moving the tank with gravel with 3 inches of water then putting the rest in big tupperware bins. As far as moving the fish, I am unfamiliar with that process what should I pack them in? Transit from his house to mine is 20 minutes.