just curious

Nov 5, 2009
CT
how big of a tank would one need to keep a few sunfish, bluegill, or perch? those are all native here and i always thought it would be cool to keep a native fish tank. obviously none would go in my 5 gallon but how big would i need to go?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I'd go as big as possible! Personally I'd forget the perch.. they grow a bit too big for most aquariums and your other fish would end up lunch. I have, however, seen them used in large tanks before they grow out and are transferred to a purpose-built pond.

I'm all for native biotopes, they can look really stunning, I believe a few forum members keep them (though I haven't seen them around in a while!). As I said.. go as big as possible, 150 gallons would be ideal (though this is to keep a good-sized population, people often keep bluegills and sunfish in as little as 55 gallons). Hopefully those members with experience keeping them will pop up!

Last edited:

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I agree with misterking, go as big as possible. I've always wanted to start a native tank but I know I won't be able to until I get out of college. I do know however that those fish can get pretty big.