Just getting started

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
New to the forum and First time SW, and this is what I have, let me know what you think.

56 gallon tank with stand
mag 350 pro
15w inline UV Sterilizer
sand and salt

Just working on the plumbing right now, does any one know the best way to run the uv with the 350 pro?

thanks,
bmorley

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Yeah I know some do not agree with the UV steralizer, but I have it now and would like to connect it all before I get the water in the tank. Does any one know what the best way to hook this thing up it will be working with the Magnum 350 PRO. Any pics or diagrams would be nice if available.

What else should I get in order to get this thing ready for water? I am planning on getting live rock.

Thanks for the help,
bmorley

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Well I finally go the tank full of water tonight. Everything is hooked up and running. I have a concern about the water movement, it seems like only the top half is getting moved. Is there a way to ensure the bottom half is getting circulated too?

The tank is 22Hx30Wx18D. Should I just extend the IN pipe lower or do I get another "power head?" to move the lower half?

Also how will I know if i need the skimmer?

Thanks in advance for the help!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Get a another powerhead. I don't know what gallons per hour a mag350 shifts, but you'll invariably need more than it provides. Look for a total of at least 10 *tank volume shifted per hour, and even that doesn't look like much.
Have you done your homework yet? I don't want to lecture, but reading first is cheaper than killing a few hundred dollars worth of stuff and then reading. If you aren't sure you need a protein skimmer (you do!) then 25 dollars on Mike Palettas New Marine aquarium will save you some money and heartache.
Decide on lighting when you've decided what you want to keep. Fish only, normal fluorescents will be ok, but for photosynthetic inverts (corals, anemones), you will need metal halide (expensive) for a tank this deep.
Research, research, research. Your tank is a strange shape. What this means when it comes to fish is that a lot of fish that people say are 'good for 55 gallons' will be too big for your tank as the swimming lengh is not there. Tough luck on that, though I be it looks good.
I'm setting up a 30 at the moment that has a similar 'footprint' to your tank. Red my thread at the top, and take note I'll spend at least 6 or 7 weeks fishless before anything goes in as I would like to have a low maintenance, low hassle experience!
Good luck!