Just Got 48g tall Cube

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Hello, just got a new 48g cube tank, measures 18X20X31 (LXWXH)

I beleive that its 48gish.. And I'm thinking of going saltwater with it, but in reality have only done saltwater, I'm wondering what sort of things I will need to start off with..

I know the "basics" I.e. the salt, the live rock etc.. is it still 1g = 1lb of live rock..?

But for lighting what does everyone reccommend.....? Lighting came with the tank but I know for sure its not enough....

And umm anything else anyone wants to put in.... =)

THanks

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Unless you want to do a reef, whatever lighting is fine. Reefs need lots of lighting, fish don't :).

I suggest you start with the stickies, they have a wealth of info...

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
as for lighting depends on what you plan on keeping... a fish only tank you dont need any special lighting but if you want corals then youll need to upgrade

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Oh I was talking with someoen at my LFS, (I've done freshwater but this is my first shot at SW) anyways, my LFS advice said I should get my tank drilled for a sump, now I just got the tank, my fiancee suprised me with it, and it says its 'tempered glass' (the LFS person said they have someone that drill tanks because i sure as heck wouldn't) anyways is this safe......? I know there must be machinery to do it... but anyways as I said I want to make a sump, and if I get it drilled where should I get it drilled?

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I recently bought a 75G tank. It has a sticker on the bottom that indicates that it is tempered. You may need to find out who made the tank and call or look on their web site for info about that specific tank. I dont know if some one can look at it and tell if it is tempered.

You are correct if the back in regular glass you can drill it and use an elbow.

MAHA

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
as a newbie i would just start with fish only with live rock *thumbsups youll need no specific lighting.... later down the road when you feel comfortable with the hobbie you can save up for lights and start to introduce corals.... just make sure if thats what you want to do everything you put in the tank must be 100% reef safe that way one fish that you might be atatched to doesnt hold you back when yur ready;)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
keep in mind most lfs people work off comissions or items they sell. dont become reliant on them too much, theyll sell you something just to make thier pay check a bit bigger. they get paid poorly in reality. -.-

get what you can afford and do a lot of research and decide what you want before you start

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Dennis-Pir said:
Oh I know that I've done lots of FW type stuff before, so i know not to be duped in by the fish store guy that knows nothing about fish.....
i dont know about you guys but around here there are about 6 or 7 lfs's to choose from and i just usually go to the one i trust most ;)

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
you guys are lucky in my area there is only two lfs with saltwater. One is petco and the other is a little better but that is it. I wish someone would open one. It really sucks only having the one place to buy stuff from, instead i end up buying most my stuff online.