Just got a Goldfish

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Big a tank as possible, weekly water changes and heavy filtration. Goldfish grow into BIG, MESSY fish that can live for more than 10 years, and so need a devoted owner. I can't stress that enough.

If your goldfish is of the common variety (your typical goldfish without modifications) it needs at least 30 gallons to itself. If it's a fancy goldfish (ryukin etc) 20 gallons will suffice.

What size tank do you have it in?

Aug 1, 2010
Right now I just have it in a 1 gallon bowl but I was looking to get like a 30 or 40 gallon tank or something like that. I will prolly only have one goldfish for a while and with some plants and gravel. Can you like price out the tank and the fillter stuff I will need to get with my tank?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Depends on what all comes with the setup as to what you'll pay, to be honest. I bought a 50gal tank that came with the stand, a filter (which didn't have all the parts), the light fixture (which is crap), some black gravel and a couple of decorations for $75.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
At Wal*Mart, there is a 55 gallon tank with a heater, filter, small container of food, small container of water conditioner and a tank lid for $150. It is VERY important that you change the water in your fish's bowl at least once a day. Do not change all of the water at once because it will shock the fish. Your fish needs a big tank as soon as possible. You must also cycle the tank.

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
I got my 55 for sixty dollars from a lady who had gotten a divorce (it was her husbands.:) has a great filter, lights, and all that) on craigslist.
You can get great deals if you just look.
But you may want to find a 10 gal minimum for your fish as soon as possible. They are much happier when they can swim alot.
Check out garage sales and thrift stores in your area. I got alot of my deocrations brand new at a thrift store at a quarter of the price.
I also got a 5 gal for 5 bucks at a garage sale. You never know what you will find.
:)

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
And make sure someone isn;t trying to sell you a thin glass snake tank as a 40 gallon fish tank......

But go to CL and you could score something nice for short dollars compared to retail...

Ya know....I never knew how big goldfish grew. I always thought they were small fish.