Just got my first 10 gallon, a few questions

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Ok, I just got my first tank ever, woot woot. I got a few questions.

1- Since I bought the tank new ,do I need to pre wash it?
2- Do I put in the water treatment before or after I put the water in the tank?
3- Whats a good tempature for Zebra Danios?
4- Where should i place the tank if I have no stand, is the floor ok? Sunny or no?

Thanks

~Chaz

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
1. I'd rinse it with water yes and fill it to make sure its uncracked.
2. After
3. 77-80ish i'd say
4. Ehh the floor it might get kicked or bumped. If you have a desk, table, dresser....something along those lines. I would not put it in direct sunlight....that would mean lots of algae.

Congrats on your first tank!

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I second what Cichlid said about the temperature for the danios. My tank stays at about 78 and my danios love it! Congrats on your first tank, you're in for a lot of entertainment with the danios, they're hyper little buggers.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
i dont think putting ur tank under the sun is a good idea,nt only get algae but is hard to control ur tank water temperature.for ur danios,76-80 will be the best i guest............

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
congratulations on your first tank, sounds like your very enthusiastic about it which is great. I just had one concern do you plan on fishless cycling or an alternate route?

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
OCCFan023 said:
congratulations on your first tank, sounds like your very enthusiastic about it which is great. I just had one concern do you plan on fishless cycling or an alternate route?
I will do the fish cycle but I will have gravel and a filter from an established tank.

~Chaz

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
RE: Tank Placement

I had a ten gallon tank that was cycling on top of what I thought was a very sturdy book shelf. Two days later, water was leaking out of all four corners of the bottom of the tank. :eek: If I hadn't been here to catch it I would've had a horrendous mess on my hands. I had to siphon the water out into a large cooler I had and it sat there for two days before I went out and got an actual "aquarium stand" (like forty bucks for the cheapie one at WalMart). Make sure that wherever you choose to set your aquarium is sturdy and level and provides support so it doesn't "sag" in the middle.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Methylx said:
I think if you look at some of the stickies and spend ya a couple hours of read time you can answer most of these questions you've been asking.
Yes, a couple of hours, or I can just ask these nice people. You are no help at all tough...

~Chaz

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey now...no need to be disagreeable folks.

Methylx that was an awesome series of books ;) Brock and Bodie are my heros!

Tomas - Even though everyone is delighted to help you out and what not it does also heavily pay off to read through the information that is already out there, even on the boards already in the stickies etc Thats all Meth was tryin to point out.