Just Got Some New Tiger Barbs

Striker2807

Medium Fish
May 8, 2006
Tennessee
I just got some new tiger barbs and I quickly learned that they like to nip at the tails of my other fish. I was just wondering if this was normal and if this is going to hurt my other fish at all.

I've noticed that my tiger barbs are naturally more aggressive. They were really bad when I just had 2, but now that I have 5 they are better. I would think that they would sometimes pick another fish to death, but I'd never had it happen so I can't say for sure. I have a semi-aggressive tank and I have my tigers with red-eye tetras, guppy/molly crosses, a blind cave fish and cories. Everyone seems to do really well, although the tigers tend to pick on my apple snails:) Also, my tank is fairly heavily planted so there's places for the others to hide if they need to.

pp01862

Small Fish
May 3, 2006
USA
I had 4 tiger barbs when I first started up my 75 gal tank. Never had a problem with them bugging the other fish, even as the tiger barb # dwindled down to just 1 left. Ironically, I think the other fish were picking on them.

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I dont have tiger barbs but I do have Odessa barbs and yes they are fin nippers. They are very active fish too. Be sure not to keep and fancy finned fish in your tank as they will surley nip their fins. Just keep an eye on your other fish and If you see ragged fins then I suggest removing your barbs.

Smark

Small Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Mn.
I have 2 tiger barbs 4 green barbs and 2 albino barbs. They are with 4 Tetras and a cory. If you keep them in a group of 5 or more they will pick on their own,so I hear. One of the green barbs got his rear fin nipped just about all off but it grew back.

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
If you keep a minimum of 6 together, they will concentrate on each other rather than attacking the other fish. I have 8 in a tank with 6 black widow tetras, as well as other fish and they don't bother with each other.*thumbsups

Jobeak

Mar 14, 2006
SChooling is better as it will naturally spread thenipping out from themost dominant to the less dominant. Also get larger fish than your tigers and that helps too.