Just saying "Hi!"

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
I just wanted to say hi to everyone.
I have been in the hobby, on and off, for the past 20 years.
I shut my last reef tank down about four or five years ago.
My daughter is now 6 and I have gotten her a 20H tank kit from my longtime LFS that I have matured through the hobby with.
My daughter is enjoying her newfound hobby immensely. It has also helped us bond and start, what I hope to be, a lifelong hobby that we can both enjoy together.
I have already read some very good threads and even got a lead on my first freshwater shrimp! Cherry Reds and Rainbows! My daughter and I are both geeked and cannot wait for them to arrive! Thanks for all of the advice and suiggestions!
Who knows, maybe I can start working on the 2 year old daughter as well!
I am glad to have found this forum!
Wish us luck! :)

d_cohoon

Small Fish
Mar 6, 2006
Ashkum, IL
Welcome to the tank. You never know your 2 year may love it even more than you 6 year old. I have a 2 1/1 year old and a 3 1/2 year old and they love our 40 gallon tank. My 2 1/2 watches the fish as much as possible and 3 1/2 talks about them a lot and I only have a couple of fish in there right. :) I can't wait to see how they react when I can get more fish after I get done doing more research. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
My parents told me that when I was little I would sit mesmerized in front of their fishtank for longer than the TV would even hold me :)

Welcome to MFT!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Yep, I got them on Wednesday. I already lost two though, but the rest are doing good. I'll forewarn you, it doesn't look like there are 10 shrimp in the bag because they are tiny and you can hardly see them. I emailed her today to make sure she sent me 10 because I can only ever find 3 of them. She said that she sent 12 of them and they are good hiders! They started to color up nicely within a few hours of having them in the tank, although some are still clear. I think the clear ones are males and the red ones are females but they are too young to breed yet. She should that young ones ship easier and they should be breeding in about a month. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions about them :D

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
MOsborne05 said:
Yep, I got them on Wednesday. I already lost two though, but the rest are doing good. I'll forewarn you, it doesn't look like there are 10 shrimp in the bag because they are tiny and you can hardly see them. I emailed her today to make sure she sent me 10 because I can only ever find 3 of them. She said that she sent 12 of them and they are good hiders! They started to color up nicely within a few hours of having them in the tank, although some are still clear. I think the clear ones are males and the red ones are females but they are too young to breed yet. She should that young ones ship easier and they should be breeding in about a month. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions about them :D
Well, I got my Cherry Shrimp. The first shipment from Tracey had the heat pack fall over onto the corners of both bags she sent. Guess where most of the baby shrimp were? If you guessed those two corners you were right. I had one live out of all of those shrimp.
I emailed Tracey and she said that she normally did not guarantee live arrival but if I split the cost of shipping with her she would send me out another batch. This time she packed them tighter. All but two or three were alive and I had some nice sized juveniles in the bunch.
They sure are good at cleaning up anything organic in the tank! They go nuts over the smallest patch of algae. I am also considering supplementing their food with a slice or two of zuchinni. I have read that they love it.
I hope yours are doing good too.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Sorry about your luck, but I'm glad she sent more of them to you. I don't know exactly how many I got because I can never find them all. I've got about 5 or 6 that are dark red right now, and they look to be females because a couple have the yellow 'saddle-bags'. They have grown a ton in the short time that I have had them! I should have some babies soon :)