Just scored a True Parrot cichlid (Hoplarchus psittacus)

Steve O

Small Fish
Sep 18, 2011
CT.
Anyone here keep a true parrot? I just picked up a juvenile, about 2". Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Steve O

Small Fish
Sep 18, 2011
CT.
Total score on this one. The shop i bought him at received them from the local aquarium (actual zoo-like aquarium not a pet store) where the parents are on display. They bred and the fry was given to a specialty fish shop. He seems to be going fine with my juvenile GT in normal SA cichlid conditions. How would i know if he needs me to soften the water? From what i read it seems like they only need that condition to breed. Thanks

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Many fish will adjust and be OK. If he starts showing signs of stress (bad coloring) you may need to get him a tank with different parameters. Seeing he is young and you are not going to breed him you should be ok. I only say this because these are predominantly black water fish in the wild, just something to keep an eye on and be aware of. If his colors fail to come out real good or fade you might lower the pH to the low side of the SA parameters as this can be a sign of stress. Also note that black water is VERY low in nutrients compared to white water so your ammonia needs to be zero, nitrite needs to be zero, and nitrate will need to be super low as well. These fish thrive in water that is low in calcium and inorganic carbon but high in Organic carbon, Iron, Aluminum, and manganese.
You are correct!!!!!!!!! That is a HUGE score!!!!! Congrats Sir!!!! I gave up on finding one years ago.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Many fish will adjust and be OK. If he starts showing signs of stress (bad coloring) you may need to get him a tank with different parameters. Seeing he is young and you are not going to breed him you should be ok. I only say this because these are predominantly black water fish in the wild, just something to keep an eye on and be aware of. If his colors fail to come out real good or fade you might lower the pH to the low side of the SA parameters as this can be a sign of stress. Also note that black water is VERY low in nutrients compared to white water so your ammonia needs to be zero, nitrite needs to be zero, and nitrate will need to be super low as well. These fish thrive in water that is low in calcium and inorganic carbon but high in Organic carbon, Iron, Aluminum, and manganese.
You are correct!!!!!!!!! That is a HUGE score!!!!! Congrats Sir!!!! I gave up on finding one years ago.

Steve O

Small Fish
Sep 18, 2011
CT.
Thank you, I would like to lower the ph a little anyway. it is 7.4 @ the tap. I would be happy with a 7 to 6.8. There are multiple pieces of driftwood in the tank, but with weekly water changes, its not much help. Do you think I should use 1 part distilled or r/o to 3 parts tap? Or should i just leave it alone? I would hate to screw the hole thing up. The tank seems to be thriving, including all 6 live plants. Thanks Steve

Steve O

Small Fish
Sep 18, 2011
CT.
UPDATE. This guy is growing Very quick! He shares a 46 bowfront with a 2.5" GT. When i got him he was about 2", had him about 3 weeks and he is now 3.5" So im on the hunt (craigslist) for a 75 or 90 gallon tank. He is still shy, but not at feeding time. Been feeding him mostly Hikari Cichlid Gold. And once in a while giving Hikari cichlid staple, tropical flakes, and frozen brine shrimp.

Steve O

Small Fish
Sep 18, 2011
CT.
Oh boy! Wife is going to kill me. I have a 90 gallon bow front being delivered today. Anyone in CT. looking for a 46 gallon bow front with stand, glass top and light for $150 ?

Steve O

Small Fish
Sep 18, 2011
CT.
Yes, it was the largest coconut i could find. I cut a little less than half of it off, scooped out the fruit, then used a jigsaw for the door/entrance. Then i boiled it twice (changed water) for a half hour. He loves it! I have two coconut caves and he has claimed both.