Just stocked my 150

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
I just stocked my 150 with 1 florida gar about 3 inches, 1 oscar about 1.5 inches, 1 jewel cichlid( i think that is what it is) about 2.5 inches, and 2 parrot fish about 2 inches along with 3 plecos. Can someone tell me if this will in the future be a problem as they have different growth rates. Thanks, Chuck.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hmm...

On the one hand, that's a fair amount of space. On the other, I have trouble seeing a peaceful existence for that list of fish, even in a huge aquarium.

Honestly, I don't know and am the wrong person to be answering - but my gut tells me you may have issues.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
you will have problems with that jewel cichlid, they are one of the most agressive imo, i have first ahnd exp with them and i dont recommend them to anyone, they really dont have very many compatible tankmates and they will get very territorial i called mine demonspawn they were so mean. i dont know too much about the gar but im prettty sure they get huge. and depending on the pleco species they tend to like being alone from what i hear and will kill each other if there is not enough room for them.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
"I just stocked my 150 with 1 Florida gar"

Why? I've personally swam with ones over 3 ft long and they are mean as hell! Even in your tank he's going to have a hard time turning around once fully grown. IMO he is one of the fish that are better off left in the wild.

The plecos may become an issue when they are older if they are commons. They do get very territorial, and at best I would only keep 2 in anything 6ft and under. Once full grown they will set up territories at opposite ends of the tank. No room for a 3rd in that scenario.

The jewel may be mean and nasty now, I can't say as I've never had them. I do know he won't get large enough to keep of the daily lunch special.

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
The jewel cichlid tends to stay by himself or with the other fish most of the time. The gar stays on the top all the time except when i open it then he goes down with the others. The only signs of aggresion i have seen is the little oscar trying to bite the parrot fish and the parrot fish running him off, but that stopped after about five minutes.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
150 Gallon - Cichlid Tank - 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 Oscars, 1 Green Terror, and 2 Parrot Fish.

Really your done!! No more fish in there. They may look little in such a large tank but you have to take into account the are all (besides the parrots) going to grow on average of 1 inch a month.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think that would be wise. You've got several mean, fast-growing fish there - I'd always err on the side of giving them too much space...

The next concern I would have would be the parrots. In time, they may be beaten like the redheaded stepchildren of your tank - or worse...

I don't think that's necessarily an immediate concern, but I wonder about their long-term safety...