Just to know

Cubby23

Small Fish
Oct 25, 2005
How much would a 10 ga setup cost? I was reading around it was astounded by some prices. What would be a standard list of things needed and how much these things would cost?

Hmmm Let's see.....10 g SW setup: It depends on what type of setup you want. There are several to choose from. FO=fish only, FOWLR=fish only with live rock, then there are corals,inverts....so many to choose from.

Your basic FOWLR system:

Tank.(10 g Walmart,Petco etc.)...10 bucks
Hood/Light combo ....about 40 to 100 bucks or alot more if you want VHO bulbs
10 to 15 lbs of live rock.....about 80 to 140 bucks
Filter and/or skimmer....about 30 to whatever you are willing to spend.
Powerheads (2) .....about 60 to 80 bucks
Sand/Substrate....could be anywhere from 3 to 30 bucks..If you want live sand , it will be more.
Marine salt....about 20 bucks for a 50 gallon bag
Hydrometer....10 bucks
Heater......15 to 50 bucks
Test kits...about 30 bucks
And this is just to set it up. Then you have to buy the fish,cleanup crew and whatever, but the sky is the limit on that.
Have I forgotten anything?
Its not cheap. Any way, good luck. You do the math......
I know when I first setup mine.... it was a HUGE MONEY PIT..... I am still spending money on it!!!

I ordered that book ....coming next week, and another good book is "the conscienctous (sp) marine aquarist"

And about the skimmer....you know if he is like most people... he will want to upgrade to a bigger tank soon. He might as well get one now.:p Just a thought.

A 10 gallon SW is very difficult to keep stable, Ya might think about starting out with at a 25 to 30 g tank. It is alot better in the long run.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can put exactly the same kit, same amount of live rock on a 20 and keep twice as many fish, and have a far bigger arnge to choose from right off the bat. If you have the option to go from a 10 to a 20 it's an absolute no brainer.
You may as well go for gold and buy a bucket of salt. It's only vaguely more expensive. I know it seems to buy a 1 200 gallon bucket for a 10, but it's such a cost saver over the course of a year.

Also what it costs to setup depends on what you have to recycle from freshwater ....

Cubby23

Small Fish
Oct 25, 2005
aresgod said:
a skimmer/ filter on a 10 is silly, knock off money for that.
i am assuming you just mean no skimmer right? A filter is also essential in a SW right? Also considering the cost spending like $15 more for a 20 sounds like a great idea. Maybe sometimes in the next year ill get a SW. It sounds like I should $500 to start off. But I have to say they are awesome.Thanks