Juvenile African Leaf Fish

Dozie

Small Fish
Jun 18, 2008
These guys eat live fish, I understand, but at this age (one is about 3/4 of an inch, the other 1 inch) I'm having trouble finding something small enough to feed them.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Dozie

Small Fish
Jun 18, 2008
solution

Went back to the pet store and picked up some frozen brine shrimp. The bigger of the two ate a lot. The smaller is didn't...

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
im having the same problem with my leaf fish. one roams the tank and seems to eat a little, but the other just hides in the plants and wont eat at all. i dont have any other fish in there besides a rubberlipped plecos, a rapheal catfish, and a striped peacock eel, none of which are agressive

i dropped a few convict fry in there and one got eaten, but the other 2 are still there, and i cant find frozen bloodworms anywhere, so i settled on freeze dried. the problem is they float and my leaf fish only seem to wanna eat off the bottom or middle, and only really eat things that seem to be in motion.
if anyone has any other suggestions i would greatly apreciate them:)

Dozie

Small Fish
Jun 18, 2008
I've had those two leaf fish for a week now, and I've had some success with the frozen brine shrimp. Even the smaller one is getting food SOMEWHERE, becuase he's still alive, and a little bigger (i think).

Frozen Bloodworms you can buy at your local PetSmart, FYI. Or, at least you can buy them at MY local PetSmart.

-Dozie

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
Frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp should work for you. Live would be a bit better if you can get your hands on it.

Once your pair of leaf fish are eating, try switching them over to flake and/or freeze dried foods.

Unless you plan on raising feeder fish or have a reputable source for feeder fish, training your fish to eat flake will make things a lot easier for you and your fish.

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
well thanks a ton for the help everybody:)

my two are still alive, so i guess they're gettin food somewhere to. i know they've warmed up to the flake food alot more. they've also mapped out there territories and found there own caves etc etc:)

and i'll also try soakin the bloodworms in water, thats a really good idea i didnt think about.

Dozie

Small Fish
Jun 18, 2008
Update:

One made it. One did not. The larger of the two eats like a pig and seems fine. The smaller one never seemed to get used to his new surroundings, and never started eating.

I guess, when yur looking to buy new fish, buy the bigger fish available?

-Dozie

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
mine are acting the same way, the bigger eats alot, and the smaller one hardly eats, but he does eat a little. i hate to hear that your smaller one died:(

but from my little experience, i would say probably go for the bigger ones, because to me they seem hardier and less prone to shock than the smaller ones.