kamikaze betta?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I have a 2.5 gal tank with one of those in tank whisper filters. I have it set on the next to lowest setting because when i originally had it on the highest setting Ambrosius was getting stuck to the bottom. After i switched it to the lower setting everything seemed peachy until today. Twice today (technically yesterday) he swam into the bottom of the filter! The first time i saw him do it and it was definitely an intentional move on his part. As soon as i realized he was actually inside it i unplugged the filter than slightly jostled it until he swam out. Later on while i was taking a nap he apparently did it again and my bf "rescued" him that time.

Is something wrong with him or is he just being a brat? For the time being im unpluging the filter when i go to sleep at night and when no one is going to be home to watch him. Short of buying a new filter is there anything else i can do to keep him from swimming into the current one?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
thats what my danios do, they like swimming against the current, but in my filter it doesnt harm them so sometimes beleive it or not, they go in there to rest, which is fine by me because they find their way out eventually then within 10 mins sometimes they are back in the filter! so ive givin up on trying to prevent them from going in there. :p

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
speaking of odd bettas, Aurora is funny, I cleaned her tank yesterday and put the filer in and she went over to it swam down then under it and up the back of the filter and into the bubbles and was just happy...I think that is their way of play. Flipper doesn't play, he's serious.