Keeping bacteria alive after fishless cycling

FishyTT

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
I finished cycling my tank (72g) using fishless cycling method. However, I could not get the fishes until this weekend. How much ammonia I need to add to my tank everyday to keep the bacteria alive?

Thank you in advance.

FishyTT

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Thank you.

However, I think I made a boo boo!!!

There're lots of nitrate in the tank so I have lots of algae. I did an 100% water change on Sunday to get rid of the algae. When I put in the new water, I added Amquel to de-chrorine the water.

I think Amquel messes up my testing result. This morning I measure the Nitrite and it's still there. I might need to wait some more time.

Thanks for all your helps. This forum is great!!!

FishyTT

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
I used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit for ammonia and nitrite.

I think the ammonia reading was wrong after I used Amquel.

I added Amquel after fill up the tank, but my filter was off at that time. I turned on the filter after adding the Amquel.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The only reading that amquel might mess with (depending on your test kit) would be a false positive on the ammonia reading. Its possible that your water change killed off some of your new bacteria...I'd test it again in a day or two and just keep adding the same amt of ammonia as you were before like Orion and Sparky said.

FishyTT

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Yes, I found out the ammonia reading was false positive with the Aquarium Pharmaceutical test kit. I changed to the Kordon ammonia test kit and it gave me the correct reading.

So, tonight I did confirm that my tank is indeed cycled. Ammonia reading is zero, Nitrite reading is zero, and Nitrate reading is about 10ppm.

I will follow your advice of adding the same amount of ammonia (about 1 tsp) each day to keep the bacteria alive.

Thank you so much for your advices.

I've already have all the plants in the tank for the past 3 weeks and they look OK, just have lots of brown algae due to high level of Nitrate before. For this 72g planted tank I plan to have:

- School of 8 red platies.
- School of 6 julii cory cats.
- A gold nugget pleco.
- School of 6 royal black emperor tetras

My water over here is pretty hard, Ph is about 8.2, KH is 200 ppm, and GH is 260 ppm.

Please give me your thoughts on the above fish stocking combination.

Last edited:

FishyTT

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Thanks Lotus, I'll hold off the gold nugget for now.

I have another question for you. I really like the black mollies, but my LFS told me that mollies are pretty territorial. Could a couple of mollies OK with the platies and tetras?

Thank you so much for your help.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I haven't kept mollies, but yes, black mollies are said to be territorial. In your tank, there is probably enough room for it not to be an issue, but you might want to see if you can get the mollies from somewhere that will take them back if they become a problem for the other fish.