Keeping my tank cool?

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
What's up guys and gals, I come to you with another question.

When I set up my tank, I bought a water heater to keep the tank around 78 degrees at all times. Now that summer has hit (summer in AZ starts now... lol) my tank is getting to be 82 degrees, and will end up getting even higher soon.

What can I do to keep my 25 gallon cooler? I know I can do a water change with cooler water, but that isn't long term. I've got a long hot dry summer ahead of me...

Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can get a clip-on fan to blow across the surface. That will help somewhat.

I'm on the California side of the desert, and it gets about as hot here (110 most of the summer). I usually set the a/c for around 85 during the day (when I'm not at home). The tanks get up to around 86, but the fish seem to do fine, as long as there is plenty of water movement in the tank.

The biggest problems come with drastic temperature changes. If you try to drop the temp from 82 down to 76 in a short time, you'll have more problems than if it naturally climbs during the day.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
You could get a crazy expensive cooler....yeah I wouldn't either. I haven't tried it but I've heard that putting an icecube or 2 in a plastic back in the water might work. The number of icecubes would depend on either how low you want the tank to go and the size, of course. good luck!

I'm in AZ too! :)

I'm not really crazy about regulating my temp much and it gets up in the 82F range during the summer. I tried the ice-cube thing on my 20g a couple times, but it doesn't do much (at least it doesn't last long) and on a 55g it's hopeless.

All I do right now is adjust the AC unit so it blows down right onto my tank. That keeps the temp a little more consistant.

Welcome to the tank! :D

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Thanks for the suggestions guys.... and thanks for the welcome! I think I'm gonna try the ice cube in a bag trick and see how that works out. I'll wait a bit though. It's been a steady 82 all day, so unless it gets up higher than that, I'll keep it there.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
If you cant do A/c, then you could keep the lights off(when not at home or durring the afternoon). Make sure you have good water agitation at the surface or get an airstone and pump to help put more O2 in the water.

If your thinking of the ice cube method for coolong, try taking the label of a 2 liter plastic bottle and filling it about 3/4 up..then freeze it. Don't fill it too high or the ice wont have room to expand. Lay that in the water and it will slowly melt and cool the water. If it was too big downsize of course to liters or whatever works.

Hth

Last edited:

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I've tried the ice method and didn't care for the results. I would freeze good sized blocks and drop them in. The temperature would dip and the fish would even hang out below the ice but soon the temp. crept back up.

My fish are not tropicals so cold is not a problem and last summer the water temp got up to the upper 80's.

I've heard of putting a small fan blowing over the top of the water. Does anyone know just how well that lowers the temp?

Feb 27, 2009
I lived in AZ for two years. The fan method works great, but it works by evaporating the water faster than it normally would. I just positioned the tank under an A/C vent and made sure it was angled at the tank during the summer (i.e. 9 months of the year!!). I turned the fish into noctornal, since I had the lights only come on after dark. That helped a lot.

You must be diligent about water changes. Some get into the habbit of just 'topping off' the tank since so much water will evaporate. In a 29gallon, I'd lose 20% of my water per week. I topped off every other day and then did a 50% water change weekly (which was really a 30% change overall).

Feb 8, 2009
The fan method works very very well. Brought my tank from 83 - 77. If using with saltwater, especially smaller tanks, be very aware of evaporation. Using this method evaporated a full gallon over a 12 hour period in my tank.

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
I might have to go out and get a fan then. Since the temp has stayed at 82 and under, Im not worrying about it yet, but once it gets to 83 or more, I think I'll try freezing water in a 16 oz soda bottle. That idea sounds really good actually!

As far as water changes, I've been doing that every 2 or 3 days lately to help with an ammonia problem... which also brings me to my next question... check the forum for my next post!