KH active charcoal question

thejava1

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Sudden high KH

I did a water change and had a tetra die over night (neon tetra) of 20 fish, he was the only one that died. It seems my city water had a suddenly high KH, and it is still high so more water changes probly wont help.

It used to be 2-4kh, but right now it seems to be 14-18kh...
Does anyone know of cheap ways to soften the water via filters? Does active charcoal help?

My water used to be very soft, and I doubt it was because our city water was ever that clean- was it the active chacoal that comes in my new filters?

thx guys- clearly a nub :p

thejava1

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2009
whoops I do (it looks like coal/charcoal so i guess thats why i was saying that) heh

actually it seems they're all the same thing... which makes since since coal is carbon...

Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal or activated coal

but w/e you call it yes that's what i meant. the black pebles that come in some filter cartridges

Last edited:

thejava1

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2009
i knows that active carbon will fix the redwawa! perhaps i will look into that- all i has is slate and block gravel right, and a forest of plants

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yea get a piece of driftwood. if you dont see that the wood helps much, you might want to concider using a filter additive (such as API Water Softener Pillow)
i bought this just in case my KH and my GH (which is astronomically high right now) get out of hand. I have not used it yet, nor do i plan to as i can see my GH dropping down each day towards decent but still high levels (started at 690ppm!!!) my tap is VERY HARD, and alkalinity levels (KH) are usually high.

some filter additive of that sort will help if youre really desparate.