KH QUESTION ?? HAVING SLIGHT PROBLEMS...I THINK??

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My pH is slightly low but not too bad; 6.8ish. But my KH is 0, or below if possible. My first question is what causes low KH and how do I fix it? And my other question is should I be worried? I have been doing regular water changes weekly. Could the fact that I have a lot of gravel be a factor? Should remove some?? (There is close to 2 inches in there. It wasnt intentional, but I wasnt paying any attention to how much was in there till a little while ago and I wasnt sure if I should remove some. Stupid, yes I know.)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
The gravel should not make the carbonate hardness (KH) decrease, usually gravels have either no effect or the opposite effect. A low KH is something to worry about, as the water has no buffer against swings in pH. You can easily fix this problem by adding some baking soda to the tank water. Dissolve it first in a cup of water, then just pour in.

You can use the Fertilator to calculate how much you will need to add to bring your particular volume of water up to the target level.

EDIT: Sorry, the fertilator does not include Baking Soda as a nutrient, but it is useful nonetheless. I add 1 teaspoon on baking soda, wait a day, then test the water. Stop adding the baking soda when you are satisfied with the KH level.

I don't think there is really a "target level" for your KH, but I would say that 3 or 4 degrees is sufficient for most settings. Some plants grow better in higher or lower KH ranges, but I am by no means an expert in this matter.

If you haven't already, take a look at the link above. It is on www.aquaticplantcentral.com, and well worth the time involved in checking it out, even if you are not going to do a planted tank and be worrying about nutrient levels.