Killing aiptasia

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
can you dip the rock in hot freshwater to kill aiptasia? will that work? i just set up my tank and have like 15 or so growing on my rocks.. there's no good LFS around me that carrys joe's juice or anything like that.. any info would be great!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
don't try that...you'll "kill" your rock. There is other ways, but less efficient and hard to do. Lemon juice a seringe...but it's hard to really get aiptasia and inject them the low ph juice in the body...they retract quickly and can compress and become very little.
Boiling water in a seringe : might burn other stuff than your aiptasia.
Also killing aiptasia with kalk injections but again...hard to target.
Joe's juice is cool because 1) you don't have to inject the product IN the aiptasia...just smother the anemone and 2) the anemone wanna eat it and burns in 2 seconds.
There are other products but dunno about their pros and cons. Still you can wait a little bit to get some Joe's juice or order it online.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ive done the lemon juice thing, it really doesn't work well...and personally i wouldn't want to play with the boiling water method either

i can say from personal experience Joe's Juice is good stuff; their website (Home) has a list of dealers