kind of a dumb question but....

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
Alright, I've never personally dealt with a saltwater aquarium before today and I've got a quick question for you guys. My friend wants to speed up the cycling of his tank and I had told him bio-spira, which he can't find anywhere local. I was than told from a sort of seedy lfs in my town that you could buy any sort of salt water cycling product, but it had to be specifically for saltwater. Now is there any difference in the bacteria that form to cycle a freshwater and a saltwater? Or would any one product work for one the same as the other?
P.S. I know the only proven med is bio-spira, but he wants some answers, so I'm hoping to give him some sort of info.
thanks guys

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well, here is an answer you probably don't want to hear....biospira isnt going to speed up his cycle, unless he were to buy all cured live rock and a bunch of actual LFS water from one of their tanks there is no other way to really speed up the cycle....it is finished when it is finished. Salt water is not something you want to rush, it is not a race....and the person who takes the longest time and goes slow will generally be way more sucessful than the person who rushes and makes impulse buys.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The bacteria in marine aquaria are different to those in fresh. Same genus, different species, and a whole lot more bacteria genus as well in marine. Almost all the cuycling products are just pure trash.

Frankly I don't like to see this sort of cycling for salt tanks - I don't think it's necessarry , or useful. Just seed the tank with bacteria by adding live rock.

If your lfs doesn't think you should use live rock , chuck them

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
got lots of matured live rock from the lfs when we first set it up, I just wanted some info so I could explain it better to him, I hate being uninformed. thanks lots guys.