Kinda dumb question

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
What does it mean when someone says "Did you seed the tank to cycle it/" or other things like that. Me personally never cycled, the store had cycled the tanks for me and gave em ovver to me so I never understood how and what are the main keys in cycling. Any help will be apreciated.

davidmold

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2006
www.lanticmedia.com
Seeding the tank means somehow adding some bacteria to the tank in order to speed the cycling process.

The cycling process is quite simple: fish produce ammonia. Once there's ammonia present, bacteria grow that eat ammonia and make nitrite. After that, different bacteria grow that eat nitrite and produce nitrate. Once that gets going, the ammonia and nitrite are gone, as they are always processed by the bacteria colonies.

Both ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish, so it can be bad news for any fish that are in the tank until there are enough bacteria to process them. Nitrate is toxic too, but only in larger amounts, so weekly water changes get rid of it. Plants and algae also eat the nitrates.

The bacteria live in the gravel and filter media (well, all over), and so you can kick-start the process by borrowing some filters or gravel from a tank that's already cycled.