KINDA HIGH NITRATEs??? WHAT IS UP???

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
Did my testing today and the nitrates are at 30 what is up with that what is keeping them so high after haveing if running for so long???

Everything else is just fine the ph is a little low @ (8.1) but eveything is ok.

There is nothing that has died from it. Everything seems to be doing just fine.

Is this good or bad????

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Nitrates are the end product of the nitrogen cycle. In the aquarium they are relatively harmless. In the fish-only aquarium under 20ppms is fine. For a reef or tank with invertabrates you should have little to none. Partial water changes usually get rid of nitrates...as long as you use water that contains none. If you have bio-balls remove them...they harbor nitrate, if you have any mechanical filtration clean it frequently. If I were you I would do a 20%water change.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you're not actively doing something to get rid of nitrates, they will gradually accumulate as the processes that produce nitrate are much more vigorous than those that reduce it to nitrogen, plus most aquariums are designed not to have places when anaerobic reduction can take place. With more live rock you might be ok, might not.
Don't be too anal till it goes above 50 and do more regular water changes.