Koi Fish Question

Jul 26, 2014
I have A LOT of Koi Fish (About 20) and they are all healthy. I feed them and keep the tank clean and everything. But whenever I put my hands in the water they always swim to my hand for me to touch them. I am scared to do this, as I have been reading and it said that it can rub slime off. But I was wondering if this was the same for Koi Fish? Because my Cousin has a few Koi Fish, and she touches them all the time. They don't get sick or die.The only time they die is if they jump out of the un-used swimming pool she has them in. Is it safe to keep them outside in a swimming-pool? (The pool is very large) So those are my questions. Thanks for reading!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
A swimming pool is fine - it is just a body of water after all. Obviously no chemicals in it, and they type of filtration may need adjustment (as most pools aren't designed for filtering out waste...). If it was a recently used pool you may want to look into some form of rinsing or some such to remove any residual chemicals that may have been used. Or a whole crapton of dechlorinator... You could even add floating plants or whatever you want to decorate with for the koi to swim around in.

If they are small koi, you may need to provide some form of protection from predators.

Not sure on the slime / touching.

Aug 8, 2014
I have a koi pond for a few years and was told not to touch them because of the slime coat. They need it to fight the parasites in he water but mine are outside with a net over top because of the herring or osprey stealing them. Thanks Kim