Kordon Amquel +

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
So it would be nice to be able to use my tap water for the extra top-offs that I'm doing all winter long, however from my tap the water has about 0.75 ppm ammonia and 20 ppm nitrates. I am at Petco last night and I see this new product by Kordon called Amquel +.
http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=9536&sku=905755&redirectURL=%2fShop%2fProductList.aspx%3fPC%3dproductlist%26Nav%3d219%26N%3d24%2520137&PC=productlist&Nav=219&N=24+137
Says one dose can remove 10 ppm nitrate and 1.0 ppm ammonia among many other things so I pick up a small bottle to try it out in an empty jug at home. I accurately add 1.25 mL to 1 gallon jug of tap water per instructions and let it sit for 2 hours. I retest it and no change! So I added a second dose to the same jug and I'm going to test it today after work (24 hours later). If this works it would be nice but it's not looking good. I'll let you know the results.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
There's not much info on this product, but i read it's a good chloramine and ammonia "remover". but it's liquid, it ain't a sponge, it doesn't absorb stuff. Looks like a standard water conditioner, but it claims it removes nitrates. Removes..how ? Since it doesn't absorb..it must convert it ..still..how...no answers found, i found no info about what's in the stuff. I personally feel unconfortable adding a product into the water to remove unwanted crap, knowing that a product will stay it the water after all. Looks like a Prime clone. All i know is that the guys at wetwebmedia don't recommend those types of products.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Deluxe test kit. The nitrate and ammonia both have 2 bottles involved. kahlua - I don't know how it is "removed" either. Like you said it must be converted somehow like the chlorine. I want to see first if it even works then I'll do some more research and testing before I decide if I want to try it for real. I hate buying water and I have no place right now for my own RO setup or I would definately go that route.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
no place under the sink ? If it's a problem, you can put it elsewhere...mine is plugged in my bathroom, and there's a 7' tubing attached under the sink that reach my ro/di unit located behind my bath. Ok i lose pressure but i don't really care...it does the job and it's hidden. There's also the magnificient faucet adapter, a 9$ gem. Simply screw it in 2 easy steps on the faucet, let the juice flow, then you can hide the unit when it's done.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
kahlua when you go to get water from your ro unit how does that work exactly? I've seen the ones at Home Depot that mount under the kitchen sink and come with a faucet.
Do you just turn yours on and direct a hose into a bucket or do you need to have a holding container that it continously adds the filtered water into? How many GPH does yours make?
Thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
ok first those ones in hardware stores can be cool, but i think you'll pay more than you have too and for the price of it, you can have a full 5 or 6 stages RO/DI. This pic shows a 100 GPD 5 stages that costs 165 CDN $ so substact 15 % to get USD price

They come with everything ( carbon, resins ) :

and can last up to a year with a 10% change weekly on a 55g. Seriously i changed mine 8 months after and they were still good...i keep 'em as backup.
The whole 4 cartridge changes costs 30-40 CDN $ and are compatible with coralife ones. The membrane has to be changed every 6 years approx. if you're 4 other cartridges are changed when depleted. Membrane :

I have a Red Sea 5.5 gallons can for storing + old salt mixes buckets. My unit is 100 GPD but it's never 100 GPD. Split the total by 2..those units can't do that much..anyways i never heard any units doing their mentionned GPD accurately. During winter here up north, it takes twice the usual summer time to get the same amount of ro/di water.