Krib Tank (Planted 10 gal.)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
My first true cichlid species-only tank.
Sure, they're just plain old "'beginner---everyone has em'" run of the mill kribensis cichlids to many cichlid fanatics out there. :eek:

BUT...they mark my entry into the world of cichlids, so don't be too hard on me---and please check back from time to time.

Constructive feedback welcome.

View from Livingroom

View from Kitchen

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks guys...I appreciate it. :)

The hornwort that is shoved behind that piece of driftwood you can barely see will be left to grow on that side of the tank. I'll use any excess to put in with the crays and supplement what's in my 38 gallon tank (which, incidentally, isn't doing nearly as good as this stuff despite equal 1.5 WPG lighting in each tank).

I think it might have something to do with the carbon inserts in the 2 filters on the bigger tank (this tank doesn't have any carbon inserts)...which I will be removing upon completing this post! :D

I've got more krib pics to post later...including fry! *SUNSMILE*

Big Vine

fishbrain

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Central NY, USA
www.geocities.com
I like it, nice tank! I'd consider following your lead in to the world of cichlids with a set-up like your's. My only cichlid experinces are with a couple short lived Rams, an veil Angel with a slightly longer life & now I have my girlfriend's Angel here in quarantine.

Keep us updated :)

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
took me about five minutes to figure out what Krib fry looked like, LOL, but I finally got it! Congrats and GL. Your kribs have great coloration---far better than anything I've seen at my local LFS. Should be some beautiful offsping.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
FreddyJ said:
took me about five minutes to figure out what Krib fry looked like, LOL, but I finally got it! Congrats and GL. Your kribs have great coloration---far better than anything I've seen at my local LFS. Should be some beautiful offsping.
Haha! They're tough to see, aren't they? One thing that makes it easier for me to spot them is that I've noticed they're almost directly underneath one or both of the parents 90% of the time.

Thanks Freddy...they should be decent stock IF the parents and I manage to keep em' alive long enough to reach about an inch or so. The store I got them from had a tank full of young adult kribs, and they all looked stunning. There's a cichlid guy working there, so he must know his stuff!

They should be running out soon, and the staff there says they hardly get kribs there...so I should be able to get some store credit for them.

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Plan of Action!?!

Helena21 said:
BV, are you gonna put the krib parents back into your 38 gal after the fry are abit bigger??
That's the question of the day, Helena!
Well...really it's more of a question of whether or not I'll keep the parents and their offspring together in the 10 gallon setup. ;)
There's really no place for them in my 38 gal. anymore. :eek:

Can the parents and fry be kept together amicably until the fry reach an inch or so?

Ultimately I intend to keep the parents in the 10 gallon tank. I do want them to spawn again, but I would need to move the fry out of there to do so.

I'm guessing that the fry would survive to about an inch in length with the parents (again, correct me if I'm wrong), so here's what I could put into action:

I could move the fry into my 10 gallon platy fry tank (and move out Jericho, which is what I'm doing as soon as I part with the clown plecos) once the platy fry are big enough to be moved in with the adult platies.

This way I could be raising the krib fry in the other 10 gal. while I keep the parents spawning in their current 10 gal. setup.

Hope it all makes sense. :rolleyes:
Big Vine

P.S. Katie...I'm using a Canon PowerShot A610

Last edited:

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Jess...I'll either get store credit for them or outright sell them for some cash---not sure who to market them to directly though? Guess I should put up a thread for em' in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum, eh?
Hmm...yeah...that's a good idea...
Thanks, Jess. :)

Helena21 said:
I wouldn't leave moving the fry to long, I've heard that when the parents want to breed again they will eat their current fry.
Yikes! :eek:
Does it really happen so soon?

I'm worried that moving them right away will result in more dead fry, but I guess it's worth it if it means avoiding having them all get eaten!

Thanks for the heads-up...I'll consider moving them ASAP. They oughta be okay with 2 small, 2-week old platy fry for a while, right (just until the platies are large enough to co-exist with adult fish)?

Big Vine

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Actually, now that I have said that im not sure its entirely true.:rolleyes:

I THINK they may eat the fry when they want to breed but im not 100% sure.
But from what I have just read on the net, the fry should be moved after a couple of weeks. :)