Krib vs. Angelfish

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
hmmmm well.... angelfish get quite big and kribs get quite agressive when they come to spawn.... id go for angelfish for beauty and like a main reature of the tank.. but for kribs they are interesting and like to play and mess around.. especially when the come to spawn.. that gets really interesting !!

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
Also depends on which tank you are setting up. Angels shouldn't go in a ten gallon because they eat like pigs and grow like weeds. A pair of Kribs are good in a ten gallon as long they are the only ones in there. You could conceivably keep a pair of both in a 55 however this is risky.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Fish Friend said:
the kribs eggs will be hidden away in a pot or something though.. theres no way the angel would get at the eggs... maybe the fry unfortunately though
Hmmmm, my angel is a beast at times. Certainly I would not combine these two fish because they can both be tempermental. I guess if you really want to breed fish then kribs would be better because they are better parents and can raise their young, angels will eat their own eggs and the eggs have to be removed from the main tank.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
My 55 gallon tank has both a pair of kribs and an adult angelfish. The kribs have had two sets of fry (so far) and none have lived. I did catch my angelfish chasing/biting a fry, so it is possible that the angelfish is the culprit for the fry not living - although you can look at it as free and very nutricious fish food if you aren't in the krib breeding business. ;) Which I'm not - what happens, happens. If they have fry then I appreciate and enjoy their parenting activity but in a community tank I dont hold out a lot of hope for the fry living.
But, back to your question - if you are referring to a 10 gallon tank I wouldn't get an angel, they would be cramped as they grow. Kribs would be cool - and it's fun to watch them mate, spawn, and then raise and protect their fry.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Well, then, if you arent too hung up on raising your krib fry to term, then go for it! My kribs and angel co-habitate quite nicely - no aggression with each other - other than the fry snacking by the angel.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Well I think the location of where I live has made the decision for me. Bummer or great ;)

I will go with the angelfish as kribs are not available here. The only store that will order them for me is over a hour away which is a lot of driving especially if I have to return one.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wait, they'll turn up. Get both, if you want to breed either a community tank will be an uphillstruggle anyway as most anything will eat fry