Kudos to Walmart

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont know if its a WALMART thing or just my Walmart...but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they now have their Bettas in cups twice the size of the usual ones!

Just figured that a lot of the press Walmart gets around here is bad when it comes to their fish so I'd give them a little recognition thread that was better than usual.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
That's good news. :) Once our local Walmart is free of pre-Christmas hordes, we will have to check it out. The fish section in ours has been going steadily downhill since the summer. The small cups are bad enough, but I also often see the cups with barely 2 inches of water in them (not just in Walmart). I hope this doesn't turn into yet ANOTHER thread about bettas in cups :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Eh...wasn't really my intention...I think we all agree that bettas are usually in too small of cups in stores like Walmart that we most all agree shouldn't even have fish...BUT this was a surprising change to me, in a good direction.

We do have one member here that I've talked to quite a bit that works for Walmart and his fish department is kickin :) It just comes down to having someone dedicated to the department to turn it around.

Has anyone else seen these larger betta cups in their walmarts? I have more Christmas Shopping to do today so I think I will check another walmart in my area to see if they've changed too!

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Our walmart doesnt have the bigger cups. It would just be that much more inticing to the idiots who walk by, when no one is looking, and puts two males in the same cup. Ive seen that several times at walmart. I always help myself to the fishnets and seperate the poor guys. I rarely see anyone working back there. I will give them some credit though, when they get new shipments in, they wont sell them for a couple days so they can pre-treat the tanks. They also are now carrying a wide variety of fish products, from tanks to medications to decorations and equipment. Granted, its not all top of the line, but at least its a variety!

BlueAngel

Medium Fish
Oct 19, 2003
IN
Visit site
we've had bettas in cups only once at the lps I work for. I only work 3 or 4 days a week so every time I would go to work I would make sure I gave them clean water from one of the tanks and if there was a free tank that a betta could go into I would place one in there. Usually we only order what we have an open tank for and I have no idea why we had so many at one time.

infant340

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
the mitten state
Visit site
well I've only went to walmart once since I live in Michigan and here most people go to a place called Meijer, not the best place to buy pets but way better than walmart. at walmart the cups are teeny tiny at meijer the cups are atleast 3 times bigger than the cups i saw at walmart. and at walmart i went to they had about 6 tengallons split in half to keep fish away from each other and about 1/3 of the fish there were kept in cups not just the bettas but they also kept gouramis in cups and snails too.

well, i wonder where they get all those small cups? im thinking of investing in them. lol, jk! well, the nearest Big Al's to me keeps bettas in these glass bowls (quite small) but holds nearly twice the amount of water than those stupid little cups. the females live in these odd containers that hold 1.5 more water than those stupid little cups. so that is why i think Big Al's is always the best! but then again i found this place that have bettas in these containers that are the larges, quart (?) in size, but still good!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey...good news, I just went to another walmart in town today and they only had one betta (people have bought them for christmas present no doubt :( ) but the one they had was in one of the large cups! :) yay. victory for the betta world. Ok...SMALL victory for the betta world...but still a victory :) lol

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
I'm from the UK and none of our supermarket chains offer pet supplies (apart from dog food etc). You can only purchase fish from your lfs, and i've never seen any of these 'cups'. What exactly do they look like?