Lake sand in tank???

Oct 27, 2005
I just got some very nice lake sand in my tank and filled it up with water. Then I thought I made a mistake because the water is so cloudy, even after a week. I love how nice these sand are, they settle right away when being disrupted, but it just seems like the cloudyness won't go away.

Then today I just change my whole setup and put some regular gravel in my tank. I cleaned it pretty nice hosing it off but still the water is still very cloudy. It's almost the same effect again. I do see a little sand residue but it can't be from the sand could it.

Problem I can't confirm its the sand too because when I put the gravel I used some "Pure Laterite" plant fertilizer too. This made the water redish at first but now it's just cloudy. Not sure if it's from the sand, the fertilizer, or the water I'm using.

I really would like to keep my sand, maybe mixing it with some gravel.

Can anyone help me and what do you guys suggest about the cloudyness. I know people are going to say patience, it takes days. Well the first time I waited for about 1 1/2 week so it got to be something else.

Oh by the way I'm raising Native Game fishes so I need the water cold as possible, could this be a reason too?

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
the only thing that i can think of is that the sand was not cleaned well enough before being put into your tank.

that will cause cloudiness.'

and yes, the residue you see, is probably from the sand.

:)

Oct 27, 2005
Hey girl,

It was too hard to clean these sand, they are so small and smooth, even smaller than beach sand.

I guess that was a mistake, oh well you live and learn. I still want sand in my tank in the future, it just looks better than gravel IMO.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
yeah you probably used too fine of a substrate. you may have also encountered a bacteria bloom which would clear up eventually. did you bake the lake sand first to kill of the nasties? i've used river sand in my tank before and i did not have any problems. just gotta rinse rinse and rinse! ;)

i keep natives too. the cold water probably does not have anything to do with the cloudyness. are you leaving your tank ambient or are you going to run a chiller? my tanks stay 60-65* without a chiller.

i know you mentioned native game fish.. any in particular or have you not decided yet?

Oct 27, 2005
My water temp is at 62 degrees as of right now. I would like to get it to 55 degrees or so but don't know much about water chillers or how much they cost.

I didn't rinse the lake sand I guess that was my problem at first. I still don't know why my water is still cloudy even with rinsed gravels. For sure I rinsed the tank in between the changes but it had very little residue left.

As for Native fishes I have, I got 2 walleyes, 1 large mouth bass, and 2 black crappies right now. I know they aren't as pretty as tropical fishes but I live in Minnesota and fishing is the thing to do. I just like these fishes here and like watching them feed on live minnows/rosy reds/guppies.

I'm crossing my fingers right now because it's been 24 hours since the change and I've already put the fishes in. I added this chemical called Bio Spira and hopefully this will save the day for me.