Large growth on Live Rock - help ID.

May 11, 2010
Chicago
There's this weird thing growing in my 300 gallon and its been growing for a while now. It's over two inches tall and looks like a tree. It started growing big when I began supplementing my tank with Iodine and using Purple Up to form some coralline algae. Any Idea what it could be? From using google, my best guess is some kind of soft coral. It would also be nice if you could ID the green thing to the left of it. Sorry for the large pics...

This pic is with flash on:

This one is without flash:

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
No, I'm not joking. I have both Pulsating Xenia and a Kenya Tree in my tank, and this looks exactly like a singular stalk of Xenia (which I have had from time to time) that is not fully opened.

May 11, 2010
Chicago
I looked at both the colt and kenya tree corals. It resembles both, but the very tips of the coral make me believe it is kenya.
by the way, why is aptasia a problem? I have very few of them and they don't seem to be harming anything.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
I agree with TRe. When I first joined this site I had a huge (I mean 2-4 inch HUGE) aptasia in my tank I was told was an "anemone". I used kalkwasser mix. I made it into a putty, sucked it up with one of my medicine droppers, shot it in it's mouth and it was gone. They can harm your other tankmates as well as spread like wildfire. The good thing about kalkwasser is you don't have to fight with scraping off the live aptasia and it has other uses such as raising calcium levels. A little bit goes a long way! My jar (I've used hardly any of it) was 10.99.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
They grow back if you try to pluck them. If you have one or two, you probably have more. Get either some kalkwasser or some aptasia remover for them. You'll probably see them popping up in the tank from time to time. You can also try peppermint shrimp, but there's no guarantee they'll eat them. I've used them to clear up an aptasia problem, but they don't always work.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
100% sure that is a green fuzzy mushroom on the left and a kenya tree in the middle. Xenia does not grow from a trunk like that it grows individual stalks.

I'd recommend Aiptasia X to get rid of them. I never made my own kalkwasser mix (which I believe is basically what Joe's and Aip X are) but I used lemon juice, Joe's Juice, and Aiptasia X and the X is definitely the best IMO.