LARGE TANKS

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
I just did a partial fill on that 55 gallon tank that i got recently, and i don't know how you guys with really large tanks do it. I only filled it up about 5 inches of water to test for leaks, and that took for ever, as well as trying to empty it, it also took forever, i could not imagine when i get the 125 gallon tank i want, what its gonna be like. Then to think about frequent water changes OMG. im gonna have to definatly make sure that i use the filter media from my other tanks to cycle this one, i cant imagine going thru several water changes a week on this tank or the 125. OH and thank god i have a python. I would cry and probably give up the hobby if i had to do buckets on a 125 shoot for that matter even on this 55 lol

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
another thing you can do is have two garbage pails on wheels.. fill one with fresh dechlorinated water and siphon into the other. use a powerhead or small pump to pump water into the tank. that's how we had to do it for some of the tanks at the aquarium i used to work at.

[without getting technical] you can put together some 1" PVC pipe into a u-shape and drill some holes into one side of the u and just hook your python hose up to the pvc and hang it over the side of your tank and just watch some TV while it's filling up.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Eh, it comes with the territory. Try having a 70gal, 75gal, and 55gal.... and that's just the tanks downstairs. The Python is awesome, I really don't even mind doing water changes or anything. We'll see if I mind it when I get my 220+ in the Summer LOL. Definitly worth it for the Oscars and such, I might not be so happy about it if I had less interesting and rewarding fish, but doing a waterchange now is as much of a hastle as letting my dogs out to go potty, just routine maintenance. I'd do anything to keep my fish happy.

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I've only got the 75 and the 10, so I have yet to invest in a Python. I keep thinking I should, it's gonna be worth it, but the buckets work, why mess with something that works?*twirlysmi Anyway, I'm in the same boat, I actually enjoy the water changes. Makes me feel like I'm contributing to the well-being of the fish, probably, since most of the time they just swim around on their own without my assistance. Not like a cat or dog who is constantly there claiming your care and love. So it makes me feel useful, since that's pretty much the only thing I do.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
My boyfriend thinks it's hilarious to watch me waddle around with a huge 5 gallon bucket, carefully lift it up to the lip of my tank, and then slowly pour the water in so I don't disturb the plants/rocks/decorations/fish. Maybe it's time to invest in a python...

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
usacutie81 said:
I've only got the 75 and the 10, so I have yet to invest in a Python. I keep thinking I should, it's gonna be worth it, but the buckets work, why mess with something that works?*twirlysmi Anyway, I'm in the same boat, I actually enjoy the water changes. Makes me feel like I'm contributing to the well-being of the fish, probably, since most of the time they just swim around on their own without my assistance. Not like a cat or dog who is constantly there claiming your care and love. So it makes me feel useful, since that's pretty much the only thing I do.
i cant believe that you have a 75 and havent invested in a python, my first tank was a 30 gallon, and after getting wet rugs, wet floors, and an aching back from all the water changes (i started it and stocked it before i knew about cycling) i fell to my knees and thanked the Gods for creating the python lol. Then i came on here as if i had just discovered a new invention and posted away about the benefits of the python. it still makes me laugh eveyrtime i read a post from someone who just bought thier first python and talks about the experience, you would think its a miracle of life by the way their (and mine) post read. lol

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
there are attachments that you can get if it doesnt hook to your faucets, if you look at any of your faucets, do they have threads on them, all of mine do except my bathroom one, but i actually have a "slop sink" between my washer and dryer which is the perfect place. If you have a washer, where does the water dump into. most places have these "slop sinks" and those generally are standard threaded faucets.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Buckets are ok for 20g tanks and less. Anything bigger and you really need a python to make like easier. When you get up to 100g+ sizes, pythons start to become obsolete, unless you've got the time. Custom wc equipment becomes neccesary. Larger gauge (diameter) hoses with pumps can change out 250g of water in 10-15 minutes on those monster tanks.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
from what ive seen there pretty much the same, i believe python is the most popular. Only difference i have seen is that the python has a open cylindrical syphon, allowing whatever to get in to tube, and the lees has a "claw" as they call it, it is closed with small slits in it, i'm assuming its to keep fish etc from entering the syphon, but i hae had on many occasions my tetras getting to nosy and getting inside. They were healthy so a gentle swirling motion brought them back out lol

I actually had both, i bought the lees (if i remeber it was a little cheaper) and then i was given a python from an online tank deal that i purchased