Large white flakes in tank

crate

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I'm VERY new to saltwater tanks and I am having a bit of a problem. I have white on the inside of the tank glass and some large white flakes on the bottom of the tank. I used baking soda to lower the ph level and I think this might have caused the flakes (it's either that or salt but my salinity is at 1.022). Does anyone know if this would hurt my fish? I want to scrape it off the tank and somehow remove it but I'm afraid that getting rid of it might be hazardous to the fish. We have a yellow tang, a boxfish and a longhorn cowfish. I have a 46 gallon tank, a skimmer and a penguin filter. All of my tests are good (no2, no3, ph, salinity, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help.

crate

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
Probably 2 cups. I just added some then waited and checked the ph then added somemore. I guess that'll teach me to use ph down from now on.

Should I just vaccum out the flakes and scrape the sides of the tank?

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
How high was your pH? I believe that baking soda actually acts as a pH buffer which means that it helps keep the pH stable in your tank. In the future I would suggest not adding chemicals without having a handle on your tank parameters.

Brian

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
these "flakes may have been all the different salts and calciums and other minerals precipitating,which from my understanding is disolved elements re-solidifying in your tank.now i could be way off too so don't take my anwser for the gospel.wait for some more opinions.

crate

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
It's a 46 gallon tank and the ph was over 8.6 (that's as high as my test kit measures). I'm gonna try cleaning it off some of it then I'll re-check my salinity to see if that goes up. I used baking soda in freshwater to lower the ph level with great results so I figured it would work in saltwater - which it did just with the unwanted result of white flakes.

crate

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
OK, I got most of the flakes up but I was unable to scrape off the back of the tank which has a lot of white on it. The front didn't have much and I was able to get rid of it (at least for now).

Any ideas on scraping off the back? I really don't want to remove the fish.

Thanks.